CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : windows wont boot with new cdrw [; ; win98SE]

bustONE88
Jul 25, 2002, 07:00 PM
i need help on installing a cdrw in my computer. when i plug the cdrw to the motherboard windows wont boot up, but when i unplug it everything boots up nice. anyone have suggestions on this? btw the computer only has a dvd drive on it right now and two slots for an ide/atapi.

pirateclown
Jul 25, 2002, 07:58 PM
yep mate

there is a switch on the back of every ide drive

it is slave and master

remove the smallr emoveable plastic clip from the back of the cdrw drive and clip it in to the space for the slave(you will see when you look) and then put it in to the pc. everythin will be ok then

pirateclown
Jul 25, 2002, 07:59 PM
your dvd drive will be set to master by default because it is the only drive of its type in there with the other master being the hard disk drive

bustONE88
Jul 25, 2002, 09:14 PM
i tried that. i set the cdrw to be slave and nothing worked . i took a look at the dvd and it was set to slave, so i dont know whats up with that? shouldnt it be master? any more suggestions would be helpful.

doubled D
Jul 25, 2002, 09:28 PM
You have two IDE ports and can run up to 4 IDE devices.
On IDE 1 (it should be labeled on the mobo) set your hard drive as the Master and the DVD as the Slave. Both devices will be on the same IDE ribbon. You should not have to touch the jumpers on the hard drive, it should already be set as Master.
On IDE 2 , set the CDRW drive as Master.
Make sure you have the IDE ribbon inserted correctly in each device. 99.9% of the time, the red stripe (pin 1) on the IDE ribbon should be nearest the power plugin of the device.
Check your PC while it boots and it should show what devices are detected when the PC boots. You may need to go into the BIOS and set IDE devices to AutoDetect.
Good Luck.

bustONE88
Jul 25, 2002, 10:25 PM
i also tried that and still nothing. the hdd is on master with the dvd on slave and they are both on IDE slot 1. i have the cdrw set on master with its own ide ribbon connecting to IDE slot 2. when i boot up my computer it says detecting ide....

...then it pops up saying
none
none
none
none

but when i unplug the ide ribbon from slot 2 (the cdrw), it detects the dvd and everything else. so i guess i cant have both cables connected to the motherboard. it that possible? any help would be appreciated.

bustONE88
Jul 25, 2002, 10:30 PM
ps. can i plug in ANY power cable, or does it have to be a specific one?

pirateclown
Jul 26, 2002, 07:35 PM
as long as the power cable fits the drive then it is ok

doubled D
Jul 26, 2002, 09:08 PM
You may have a dud CDRW drive.
Have a friend try it their PC or take it back to where you bought the cdrw.
Based on what you're saying, you're doing everything correctly so it must be the drive or a bad IDE slot.

bustONE88
Jul 27, 2002, 12:05 AM
its not the cdrw drive because i took it out and replaced it with the dvd drive and the cdrw works perfect and its also not the dvd. both work fine. im using the cdrw as we speak. and its not the motherboard because its new and i switched the hard drive to IDE SLOT 2 with nothing on slot 1 and everything was working.
:confused:

bustONE88
Jul 27, 2002, 03:51 AM
^^up.. need more suggestions... this thing is pissing me off!
:mad: