CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Wheres my hard drive gone?Also, prob with partition magic

jmrevill
Aug 05, 2002, 08:48 PM
I have two hard drives, one is 30 gb and is fine but the other is 80gb and when i go to my computer it is not there and i cant save anything to it, i have just reinstalled XP Pro,

I have trtied to use partition magic as this worked before but i keep getting a error when i load it up, it says

"init failed:error 48
Sector not found"

i have also tried to use fdisk but i simply dont understand it and it also doesnt show my missing hard drive, and yes, the hard drive is enabled,

anyway, thansk for any help that you can give

zedy
Aug 05, 2002, 09:22 PM
If fdisk cannot show it and it is enabled in bios then it has simply died.

jmrevill
Aug 05, 2002, 09:26 PM
ok, i have used fdisk but it prbally doesnt show up in there because i dont know hw to use that program, thansk anyway, but i think it is because the hard drive has not been allocated, but i cant fix this because i cant open partition magic, do you know how to fix this problem or how to allocate the hard drive using fdisk,

Thanks

CHR15
Aug 06, 2002, 03:18 AM
Probably the easiest way for a newbie with FDISK is this:

Shutdown your PC
Disconnect your Existing 30Gb drive (pull the IDE and/or Power Cable)
Leave your 80Gb Connected up.

Boot your PC with a Bootdisk www.bootdisk.com
Start without CDROM Support

At the A: prompt type: FDISK

Now simply select all the ones at the questions.

You will be asked if you want to allocata ALL the available space, choose YES (Basically you just select all the options it defaults at)

FDISK will examine and partition your drive. You will then have to format the drive. When FDISK finishes it will ask/Tell you to REBOOT.

Leave the Floppy bootdisk in and reboot, go to the A: prompt as before.

Now type: FORMAT C:
Select YES at the warning about losing all data.

When the Format has finished,

Shut down/unplug your PC

Reconnect your 30Gb drive.

Restart and you should now see your new 80Gb drive (assuming your BIOS can recognise drives that large (most recent BIOS' can recognise up to about 120Gb+)

There is a bit about Jumper Settings/ drive configurations which I'll go into if this method doesn't work but try this first.

joshuacliff
Aug 06, 2002, 07:43 AM
Since you can boot into xp the easiest thing is this

Click Start-control panel-performance and maintenance-system administrative tools-(double click)computer management shortcut-(a new windo opens)-click disk management-(on the right) if the disk shows up there you probably need to format it,which you can do by right clicking and mount and format.

It is a little easier than fdisk