CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Some broadband help please. [Homemade; AMD K6 500; winME]

Stevie boy
Oct 07, 2002, 12:00 PM
I've been looking into the broadband thing and noticed on a site that it said a splitter is needed for each phone socket. I've got four sockets in the house. Does that mean that I need 4 splitters, even the the puter will only be plugged into one of them?
Steeve.

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 12:18 PM
if u are doing a self install u will need a filter for every socket in your house
as if u pick the phone up without one of these fitted it will cut your adsl line off. If u have a bt engineer come to fit it then no as they make the socket by your compter the main line and fit a special filter to the front and then spur your extensions off

hope this helps

cheers

Stevie boy
Oct 07, 2002, 03:31 PM
My puter is plugged into the main socket, all the others are extensions. Do I still need one on each extension?
Steeve.

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 03:36 PM
yes unless u can get hold of an adsl splitter from a bt eng then u still need to have a filter in each socket.

Stevie boy
Oct 07, 2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks for your speedy replies, am I getting mixed up with filters and splitters?
Steeve.

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 03:50 PM
didn`t make myself very clear last time.

if u can get an adsl splitter from a bt eng tou can change this the face plate on the main socket.. Then spur your extensions from the back of the new adsl splitter.

cheers m8

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 03:53 PM
splitter, filter all the same thing. have u got a big telephone main socket which the small front plate at the bottom comes off?????????

Stevie boy
Oct 07, 2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks again for the quick reply.
Yes that's the one. with Telecom's "T" in top right corner.
Wondered how you were so knowledeable, just checked your profile. LOL. You'd think with my profile I'd be able to understand it easier.
Steeve.

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 04:04 PM
hi m8

mail me

sapper
Oct 07, 2002, 04:34 PM
hi m8

cant send reply back to your email addy

serving saying wrong address

cheers m8

Stevie boy