CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Virus Infection, Help needed [IBM Aptiva; L 71; winME]

jerjan
Oct 16, 2002, 05:56 PM
My Virus scanner (AVG Anti Virus System Professional Edition) has ha indicated that my computer is infected with a "Trojan Horse IRC / Back Door.Flood virus" it shows the location as
"C:widows\system 32\icsxm52 \ temp.scr"
When the pop up screen idicates this virus I have clicked on heal and remove on several differnt occasions. The computer is fine for one or two boot ups then after that when booted up it indiates the same virus in the same location on a full red screen, giving me the choice to enable the file or not to enable the file. I choose not to enable the file and the computer finishes booting up and seems to be operating normally. How do get rid of this virus permently. I talked to one of the tech guys in a local computer store he advised me to go to the Semantic (Norton) web site and get instructions on how to get rid of the virus. I got the instructions but have not been able to follow them. Can anyone help me it sure would be appreciated.

beardedwonder
Oct 16, 2002, 08:47 PM
You could try booting in safe mode and then running a scan of everything, this way the virus won't have a chance to load up... hopefully. I picked up these instructions from norton from here ********securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.irc.flood.html

1. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and run a full system scan. Be sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
3. Delete all files that are detected as Backdoor.IRC.Flood.
4. Use Windows Explorer to delete the \Window\ Uninstaller.exe file.