CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Burning Audio

Nightrain
Feb 06, 2002, 09:23 AM
If I was to transfer from CD to HD (Hard Drive) and then to the CD-R strictly for Audio files would this make an excact replica?? Cause I did a "On the Fly" and it was'nt to bad but had lots of background noise, crackling, popping noises etc... This is obviously caused by the speed from going CD to CD-R but can going from HD to CD-R get the same results like the ones mentioned above?? Also has anybody ever used the HP blank CD's. The seem to be very hard to come by.

Cheers:beer: :madhack:

green_blade
Feb 06, 2002, 11:23 AM
If you're doing a straight copy of a disc, you're better off using something like CloneCD which will give you an exact copy.

If you're extracting the audio onto your hard drive in MP3 format and then re-burning it, the quality will depend on the settings of the software you are using. In Musicmatch Jukebox for example the default quality setting is 128 which is good enough for most peoples ears but not an exact copy. You can increase the setting which will increase the quality but this also increases the size of the file.

As I say for a straight copy use CloneCD.

Trondos
Feb 06, 2002, 03:21 PM
I disagree with using Clone cd for audio. CCD does not do any jitter correction as far as I know, and it also copies all errors present on the original disc. This works well in most cases, if you have a cdrom capable of doing perfect audio extraction. But not all own one...

With the crackles and popples Nightrain experiences, it sounds like your cdrom is not very good at audio extraction. Often it is better to use your burner to extract audio, burners have more stable servo tracking mechanisms, and generally reads audio fast and reliable. Then burn it to cd afterwards.
Oh, and do not convert them to mp3 unless you really are short on disc space. It takes longer time, and you get lower quality sound. Extract the audio to wave files.
With the problems you have, this would be what I advice you to try first.
What burnware are you using? There are many good and free audio extraction programs out there, may I mention some? :

My favourite is CDex. Get it here: www.cdex.n3.net

And then we have dbPoweramp, get it at www.dbpoweramp.com

Another good one is EAC, ***********.exactaudiocopy.de/
Loaded with options, easy to get lost in all of them, very good for scratched discs.

At last, I have to mention Feurio, www.feurio.de
Full burning/ripping program, very good, only for audio, has many nice features, also free, only with nag screens.

Keymaster
Feb 06, 2002, 03:31 PM
To get an exact copy of the audio tracks on the hard drive, you should rip to wave files not MP3s. An MP3 will never be an exact copy of an audio track regardless of how high the quality is. A 44.1 khz, 16 bit stereo wave file will be identical if there are no DAE errors.

Van Nugent
Feb 06, 2002, 05:54 PM
I agree with Trondos. Use CDex to rip the tracks to WAVs and save them on HD then burn them to CDRs. You'll be amazed how much better the results will be.

MrMP
Feb 07, 2002, 11:10 PM
Nice One Trondos,

I agree, anyone who uses/recommends clone cd for audio does not know there are BIG differences between copying data and audio. Yes clone has no internal audio extraction routines but relies on the ability of your reader.

Use a programme designed for the job

My preference is EAC, or any of others listed by trondos are ok

slipdisc
Feb 07, 2002, 11:56 PM
if ya can get it, then use v2.2 or above of creative playcenter as its really simple to use and gives you excellent rip from ur cd. cddb support too.

was downloadable from creative, but theyv stopped it since new audigy soundcards came out. if u got an old version, the upgrades are available from their site.

--