CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Pop up virus window?

emailrob
Apr 23, 2002, 01:04 PM
I have a strange kind of virus. It pops up with a window advertising some german **** site. I think it would try to autodial a number, but I have my normal number as default so it cannot.
I have NAV 2001 installed and updated, but cannot find any references to this type of virus, as I don't know what to search for.

I've downloaded a trojan checker, and this was clean to.
Any ideas?

Thanks

zack371
Apr 23, 2002, 07:36 PM
First of all,

Make sure your Norton AV is up to date. Secondly, I don't think it is a virus. I have seen situations where sites have automatically downloaded .html files and then they set that as your wallpaper. www.lop.c0m (misspelled on purpose) does that. Do not go there, by the way. It will change your wallpaper to an html file it puts on your system, plus it will redirect your Internet Explorer "Page Not Displayed, etc" to all go to the lop page. That sounds like what you have got. Now, you should have had to say "Yes" to something on some web site and then it would put itself on your syste. At least that is how the one I mentioned works. Check and see if your wallpaper is set to use ActiveDesktop and if there is a strange .html file selected.

Let me know how it goes.

-Zack

***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif

emailrob
Apr 24, 2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks Zack. I think you're right about the popup. I'm using XP, and there appears to be no setup for Active Desktop. I've gone into settings and there is no options.
Is there somewhere else to look?

Thanks again