CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : whats the closest I can getn to a high speed connecton please?

The Firemaster
Apr 28, 2002, 11:52 AM
There is no cable or adsl available in my area and it looks like there never will be as BT is to tight to upgrade the exchange in the village and they wont put cable in my area as its too far way from a town?. Any ideas, ive had a mate that had that satellite download thing but it corrupted all his downloads so I dont really want to go down that road either, id like something that would allow me too down files of 650mb. Im well miffed with this crappy 56 k connection its suppose to be the year 2002 not the stone age!:mad:

sapper
Apr 28, 2002, 12:00 PM
hi m8

if u are on bt and u live within aprox 5k from exchange u can have home highway. this has two channel isdn which makes it 128k if your isp supports it. u have to pay for 2 calls though with 128k. otherwise it is standard 64k

The Firemaster
Apr 28, 2002, 12:27 PM
cheers for that m8, but it looks as though im stuffed as it will still take far too long to d/l 650mb files, maybe ill have to move!

shazco
Apr 29, 2002, 03:05 AM
sat would b your fastest but it costs a whack..cheers.

psibob84
Apr 29, 2002, 06:21 AM
have you tried getting in touch with blueyonder NTL etc about getting cable installed? try that.
other then that you would be looking at satalite. there are only two downsides to it
1] its more expensive then cable ADSL etc
2] you use a standard 56 modem for upstream data and the satalite is only used for downstream data
although my uncle has it bcause he cant get cable etc and he never had any corrupted download problems (just make sure you use a program like getright etc)

The Firemaster
Apr 30, 2002, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the help guys, ill try contacting ntl and that about getting cable installed and see what they say. :D