CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : keep running out of system resources

jjcool777
Apr 28, 2002, 04:36 PM
my pc had been working fine,
up till now?

when i open more than 2 programs
it says system resources less than 8% free???

i have 386mb ram

w98

whats the problem i only have explorer and mediaplayer open???
never got this before??

also ive noticed my d/l speed had gotten slower too?

The Magpies
Apr 28, 2002, 04:48 PM
Increase the paging file size in System properties.

Regards

jjcool777
Apr 28, 2002, 04:49 PM
to what?

The Magpies
Apr 28, 2002, 04:55 PM
For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives.
The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.
Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

Regards

Keymaster
Apr 28, 2002, 06:34 PM
System Resources have nothing to do with RAM or paging/swap files. They are limited in all Win9x versions of Windows and cannot be increased. This is one reason they are measured in percentages. There are actually two System Resources; User and GDI. When they are reported as a single number it is the lower of the two being reported. You can free up System Resources by closing unused Windows and Apps.

There is a something wrong that only two apps can reduce your resources to < 8%. However, IE alone can use all your resources if you have two many Windows open. 16 bit apps can cause a problem because once you open 16 bit apps the resources are not returned until all 16 bit apps are closed. Closing an app before it fully opens will also cause those resources to be lost, since they won't be released since the launch was not completed properly. Tabbed property dialogs also use a large amount of resources since Windows reserves the resources for all tabs, anticipating you will use those tabs. When System Resources fall to low the system will crash, and only a reboot will reclaim all system resources.

Run a virus check with the latest definitions. There may be something open you are unaware of. Also run System Information in Start-->Programs-->Accesories-->System Tools and check Running Tasks in the Software section to see what is actually running. Check the system Resources when you first restart, since something in the startup may be eating up System Resources. Hardly any software uses more than 25% of System Resources (MP3 Workshop is a resource hog and IE will use more and more for each Window open as will most apps).

Ageamiu
Apr 28, 2002, 07:50 PM
I used to use a program - RECLIP - a utility for clipboard management. It remembers clipboard items and gives these information when you need them. But, this software "eats" 41-42% of resources. I was desperate till I discovered the "hungry" program. I have un-installed it and my machine is unknown for me. It flies. Try to discover an enemy like this on your PC.

green_blade
Apr 29, 2002, 03:34 AM
I used to have a similar resource problem running Win 98, certain apps were also running slower than they should have. Upgraded to XP and not had a problem since.

DeSario
Jul 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
Sounds to me like a msconfig dance is in order.... :cool:

NateV
Jul 10, 2005, 02:20 PM
Were you looking for the oldest post you could find or something? :suspic:

modo
Jul 10, 2005, 06:42 PM
nah - just trying to boost his "score" lol :D

Were you looking for the oldest post you could find or something? :suspic:

DeSario
Jul 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
As far as boosting scores,dont have a clue,as far as oldest post I was just surfing around and didn't even pay attention to post dates and as far as you 2 ( GET A LIFE........ )