CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : 20 GB Hard Drive

bigdadday
Apr 29, 2002, 08:05 AM
OK I have two installed in my puter and wanted to make the one a dual boot and used Partition Magic 7.0 and when it was done it showed I had one hD at 4.87 and the second at 20?

I reformatted the C drive thinking I would reinstall and just start all over but it still shows only 4,87???????? Ant ideas?

duffy90210
Apr 29, 2002, 08:08 AM
Format alone wont change the partition size, you need to re-size the partition to take advantage of the whole 20GB.

HTH

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 08:10 AM
Are you saying that you have 2x20Gb hard drives installed in your machine? If so before you formatted were they recognised as 2 x 20 Gb? Are they both fully partitioned and formatted - if space is left unallocated then it wont be recognised by windows. If you are using PM7, take a look at whether or not all the space is allocated to a partition, if not allocate it to a partition.

If one of these is a new drive then it may be that your Bios needs upgrading to recognise this amount of storage space.

bigdadday
Apr 29, 2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Virgin San
Are you saying that you have 2x20Gb hard drives installed in your machine? If so before you formatted were they recognised as 2 x 20 Gb? Are they both fully partitioned and formatted - if space is left unallocated then it wont be recognised by windows. If you are using PM7, take a look at whether or not all the space is allocated to a partition, if not allocate it to a partition.

If one of these is a new drive then it may be that your Bios needs upgrading to recognise this amount of storage space.

They both were recognized before I tried the partition and now after screwing it up,reformatting now the second only is rec. as a 20 and the first still acts as if it's been partitioned and only reads such.

green_blade
Apr 29, 2002, 08:49 AM
So one of your drives is formatted and showing as 4.87 Gb ?

Boot to DOS and run fdisk. Remove (delete) the 4.87 partition and then re-format the whole drive. It should then show as the correct 20Gb size.

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 09:38 AM
If you are familiar with fdisk that is ...
It sounds like you've screwed your formatting up. I would suggest you should remove all the partitions from the drive in question and set up a single new 20 Gb partition on it (you can't leave it unpartitioned and use it), then format it.

If you dont know about fdisk you can do this action with PM7 as well.

In fact if the drive that is showing as 4.87 is the one with your OS on you really dont wanna fdisk it as you'll have to reinstall windows yet again! With PM you can look at the space available on the drive and allocate it to the 4.87 Gb partition using the resize wizard, or create a new partition out of the available space if you so desire (might be a good idea if this space is not formatted - you can use PM to format it too).

green_blade
Apr 29, 2002, 09:59 AM
But hasn't he formatted the drive ???

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by green_blade
But hasn't he formatted the drive ???

I'm not sure what he's done ... I got the impression from the first post that he had partitioned with PM7 then reinstalled windows and windows was still showing it as 4.87 Gb. I figured that if there was no OS on it and he knew it was 4.87 Gb he must be using fdisk or some other tool in which case he'd know how to partition and format it!

I dunno, but whatever - i think between us we have the bases covered!;)

bigdadday
Apr 29, 2002, 11:37 AM
Sorry peeps I had to get some therapy on my leg so what your saying is reinstall PM and then resize the drive to the oribinal 20?

As to fdisk I don't know much about it.:(

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 11:46 AM
I'm assuming you have your OS installed on the 4.87 Gb drive now right? In which case yes i think your best bet is to install PM and resize your main partition to include all the space IF the unallocated space has been formatted and assuming it is unallocated (which i suspect it is).

If the unallocated space is not formatted (PM will tell you when you hover over the relevant space what the file system is if any) then i would suggest you create a new partition with that new space in it, use the wizards and be sure you dont accidently format your C drive !

bigdadday
Apr 29, 2002, 11:53 AM
Reinstalled it and wil merge them when I have time but this has been some more great advic/help so thnx and I'll be more carefull the next time I do it.:)

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 11:59 AM
Merge them?

That suggests that windows was seeing a 4.87, a 15.13 and a 20 Gb drive ....

If thats not the case you cant merge unallocated space with a partition, it must be partitioned and formatted before you can merge.

Good luck :s

bigdadday
Apr 29, 2002, 12:14 PM
It does see c as the 4.87 and also as 15.13 and also sees my d drive which was not touched so your saying I have to start all over again? This is where I am wondering how? Do I merge them first and the format or format and then merge but how would that be if it's formatted ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Virgin San
Apr 29, 2002, 12:26 PM
Calm down!

Now, it must be that the 15.13 Gb part of your C drive is unformatted - otherwise it would be labelled as D and your current D drive would be labelled as E: - check that this is the case, when you point on the 15.13 section using PM and wait a second does it say anything about the filesystem and is it colour coded as unallocated?

If the above is correct what you need to do is create a partition in the 15.13 Gb space, then format THAT partition only, then merge them IF YOU HAVE TO, i'd suggest you dont need to merge them - PM will automatically make the 15.13 Gb bit into your D drive, and your 20 Gb will become E - it will also ask you about using drivemapper because your volume labels have changed, ignore that you wont need it.

bigdadday
Apr 30, 2002, 07:34 AM
Disk Partition Type Size Used Unused Status Pri/log

1 C Fat 32 49026 11591 37425 Active Primary

OK Virgin San this is whatI'm using and now this is the hidden,

Disk Partition Type Size Used Unused Status Pri/log

1 * Fat32 146373 24674 121699 Hidden Primary

:eek: :confused: :beer: