CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : Wierd PCI slot [IBM; ; ]

compbuild
Apr 29, 2002, 11:38 AM
I have a machine here with a really bizzare slot and I was wondering if anyone would recognise it.
The machine is by IBM and the slot looks exactly like a PCI slot except that it has an additional nine pins at the end separated from the rest of the slot by a keyway. The slot looks a bit like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXX

It also currently has a network card plugged into it and resides next to the AGP slot on the mother board.
Any ideas?

duffy90210
Apr 29, 2002, 12:00 PM
If you post the model number of the machine, I am sure you would get better answers :)

MasterMind
Apr 29, 2002, 12:49 PM
:) Duffy.

It's called as AMR slot. AMR stands for Audio Modem Riser. It is used in conjuction with special lower cost audio and modem devices.

More information about the AMR specification can be found on the Intel devloper Intel website here: ********developer.intel.com/update/archive/issue15/stories/top2.htm

I hope thats the one.... :tup:

HTH!!

duffy90210
Apr 29, 2002, 02:17 PM
Mastermid, but the AMR slot, is a lot shorter than the PCI ?? I thought about it, but didnt think its any longer than a PCI slot.
I am not totally sure, thats why I asked :)

jspr57
Apr 29, 2002, 02:26 PM
NOt 100% Sure without the motherboard type number but it could be one of these?

1) Micro Channel Architecture (MCA):Not too common either, this bus was created by IBM. It is 32-bit, like EISA, but you can't stick ISA cards into it. MCA was capable of bus mastering, plus it could look at other devices plugged into it and identify them, leading to automatic configuration. MCA also produced less electrical interference, reducing errors. MCA is history. Don't get it. Nobody

2) Video Electronics Standard Association (VESA): This is a very fast interface made up mainly for fast new video cards. All of those fancy videos and graphics require much speed. The VESA-Local Bus, or VL-Bus, is connected straight to the CPU's own internal bus, hence the name "local". This bus can transfer data at 132MB/sec. VESA buses are basically an ISA slot with an extra slot on the end. The whole thing is about 4 inches longer than an ISA slot. Again, you don't see these much anymore.

Regards

Keymaster
Apr 29, 2002, 04:01 PM
64-bit PCI slot.

MasterMind
Apr 30, 2002, 02:07 PM
Oops.... Sorry Duffy m8... :) You are 100% on the size thing...

And KeyMaster..... I hope you are around.... Whats that 64 Bit PCI slot ???

compbuild
May 02, 2002, 04:21 AM
Thanks for your help guys its for a guy in work so I've passed on your info to him