CDROM-Guide forums  

PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pissed Off!!!!

Borgy
May 02, 2002, 02:35 PM
Right I've been sent this new virus 27 times in past 4 days! please people get Norton and check you system!!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGENTLY

the name of the virus is: W32.Klez.gen@mm

go to www.norton.com for more details......

A few people who need to check there pc's are:

paul-g@ntlworld.com
djtm00@hotmail.com
quare@tm.net

there's about 20 odd more but didn't get all emails as the virus is a ******* to get off! download the repair tool from the norton website ASAP Please and leave my pc in peace :mad:

regards

Borgy :furious:

the-cod-father
May 02, 2002, 03:04 PM
join the club m8
it happend to meand i had to wipe the hole hard drive
completely reformat the hole lot
pissed me wright off get youre self some good virus software
and put a fire wall on the pc
get regular updates from norton site i check once or twice a week
be carefull to check emails i normaly delete the ones from people i dont know but you still got to be carefull

take care m8

Roger Moore
May 02, 2002, 03:22 PM
The thing that gets me is, not that people send me the virus but when I reply to the e-mail giving instructions on how to remove the virus they don't reply! No thanks, or sorry everyone ignors the e-mail!

I don't bother anymore...

Roger

Borgy
May 02, 2002, 03:49 PM
yeah same here roger!
also I get new virus definitions everytime I connect and have norton 2002 in the background all the time along with zonealarm. Sometimes it just isn't enough so check the norton website regularly!!

leday
May 02, 2002, 04:36 PM
The problem with this particular virus is that the person in the "from" field on the emails may not be the culprit. This virus picks a name at random in the infected person's address book and puts it in the "from" field, so you may not be able to trace it back to the real infected PC.

I agree--I've been hit with this virus a LOT lately too (thank HEAVENS I keep my Norton AutoLiveUpdate running so it automatically downloads new virus defs without my having to do it manually, so it's caught every one).

Keep those virus defs updated OFTEN!!!

Captain
May 02, 2002, 07:43 PM
Running a firewall will not prevent anyone against a virus. Admitadly they are very useful if you know what your doing. Just thought people should know as its implied from the above posts that Zonealarm etc will stop you getting infected, it wont. It might help stop you infecting others though.

Jaice
May 02, 2002, 10:34 PM
Use Norton to check you E-mail, and keep the Auto-Protect, Enabled.

shazco
May 03, 2002, 02:25 AM
i got the same pooooop but just blocked it throgh the message dover...
cheers.

Trader
May 03, 2002, 02:51 AM
I did warn & post about this virus some time ago, I use e-Trust EZ Antivirus(formaly Innoculate), it stops it.

If you buy the package you get all the updates some times daily but at least 2-3 times a week.

Better to by safe than sorry.

Lazza
May 03, 2002, 02:57 AM
Guys, don't convince yourselves that running A/V alone is the solution.

NAV is not the best solution for trojans or worms, "Klez" is a worm. You need a good trojan scanner like "The Cleaner", get a free 30 day demo from:- www.moosoft.com/ NAV will project you at present from several hundred trojans/worms whilst The Cleaner currently protects you against 4624 !!!

You can choose to let it run in the background and it uses very little resources (unlike NAV! :laugh: ) And there are regular updates for the database.

HTH :)

Borgy
May 03, 2002, 06:45 AM
nice info there lazza!

take note people

sparkster
May 03, 2002, 07:22 AM
You could alternatively use web e-mail like Yahoo or Hotmail. Then those viruses can't be launched from just viewing the e-mail (although the can if you download the attachment).