CDROM-Guide forums

CDROM-Guide forums (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio CDs & MP3 (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to Rip Copy Protected 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' CD ?? (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45492)

Vorpal Mar 06, 2002 08:30 PM

How to Rip Copy Protected 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' CD ??

How to Rip Copy Protected 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' CD ??

I guess that explains it. If you don't know what it is, it's suppose to be the first CD with copy protection. Windows can not see the music files and it comes with a built in (piece of crap) player.

I heard a while ago that there were already appz out to break through this, and that certain DVD drives can read through the protection anyway (I don't have a DVD drive).

Thanks for any advice.

Keymaster Mar 06, 2002 09:01 PM

Try EAC or Feurio for ripping. They are best at ripping copy protected Audio CDs. However, only certain CD readers are capable. If you don't have any luck ripping you can record it while playing it with the supplied player. This would work best if you have a digital audio cable from the CD drive or use WDM drivers for your soundcard so you can enable digital playback.

I haven't seen the player so I don't know what it's capabilities are. It may play the tracks digitally itself. Regular Windows CD players don't actually play the tracks, they only control the CD drive while the audio information is transfered to the soundcard. Anything played by the soundcard can be recorded (although at only 1x). Ideally it is digital audio being transfered to the soundcard.

dar_dorn Mar 07, 2002 10:45 PM

Alternative is to go looking for the tracks on a download site such as winmx or such... I am lazy. I do have the original tracts, but to convert them to MP-3's or such, if I can download them, it is a simple way to go and just set the download requests on a site and go to work and let the computer do its thing. I do compare the downloads to what I have on originals and sometime just delete a tract or such, but the rest is fine.

NotAHacker Mar 07, 2002 11:50 PM

What I've read so far is there is a program called Easy Audio Lock that will let you copy any audio protection with clone cd. [URL=***********.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=2831]CDFreaks.com talks about it. If you don't find it do a search on yahoo and you'll find it. I would give you a link but some might say its a warez site. :eek:

:round::hdspin::round:

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck,
is probably the day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Keymaster Mar 08, 2002 12:14 AM

It appears your CD is protected by Cactus Data Shield. This description sounds very similar to the situation you describe (from [url=***********.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Cactus%20Data%20Shield%20200&index=0]CDRInfo.com):[quote]- Getting inside the CDS200 protection

The new Natalie Imbruglia CD, White Lilies Island, disc is a "multisession" mix of twelve ordinary 16 bit CD music tracks, and one data track containing the same music compressed by a proprietory process into a 29.4 megabyte file. When played on a Windows PC, without any attempt at copying, a program on the CD over-rides Windows Media Player, and plays a highly compressed version of the music at 128 kbps - the normal CD standard is 1.4 mbps. This stops some PC copy software working. But it also means people who legitimately choose to listen to the disk through a PC get poor sound.[/quote]

If this is the case the lastest versions of EAC and Feurio will do a bettter job of defeating this copy protection scheme than CloneCD. And the best drives for reading the CD are the AOpen's CRW2440/RW5120.

Keymaster Mar 08, 2002 12:24 AM

Easy Audio Lock is a Copy Protection

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NotAHacker [/i]
[B]What I've read so far is there is a program called Easy Audio Lock that will let you copy any audio protection with clone cd. [URL=***********.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=2831]CDFreaks.com talks about it. If you don't find it do a search on yahoo and you'll find it. I would give you a link but some might say its a warez site. :eek:
[/B][/QUOTE]

Easy Audio Lock is a copy protection app, not a method to break it.