CDROM-Guide forums

CDROM-Guide forums (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open to All Computer Related Topics (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   xp help (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141555)

swordfish6210 Jul 11, 2002 06:20 PM

xp help

when ur installing xp pro you have 4 options :

1.) Format the partition using the NTFS file system <quick>

2.) Format the partition using the NTFS file system

3.) Convert the partion to NTFS

4.) Leave the current file system intact < no changes >

:round: :round: :round: :round:

Which 1 is the best to go 4 and y.

does n e 1 know of a web-site tht explanis this ??

thanx 4 looking :) :)

:mail: :mail:

[email]whitty6210@aol.com[/email]

or

[email]whitty_m_w@hotmail.com[/email] (msn)

uk_trader Jul 11, 2002 08:02 PM

Wrong forum m8 you should have posted in open. But in my opinion go for ntfs rather than fat 32 so choose fornat as ntfs option 2 The reason i recomend ntfs over fat 32 is because basically it is better all round but it increases the computers security also.
You may have some trouble with games though with ntfs so if your using it for gaming mainly use the last option leave file system intact, some games will detect your ntfs file system and they think your using Windows NT (older games pre xp)

zack371 Jul 11, 2002 09:44 PM

I also format with NTFS in XP. It gives you much more control for security purposes. Supposedly NTFS can be a *bit* slower than NTFS on older systems, but I have never seen that for myself to be the case.

I have run many games with NTFS and have not heard of any specific issues being caused by the file system itself.

Anyways, this really belongs in Open All Topics, so I am moving it there.

-Zack-

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]

Lazza Jul 12, 2002 01:46 AM

Well I'm gonna disagree with everyone here, now there's a change.[img]********smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/auskosten.gif[/img]

I always format using FAT32 for compatibility issues, strong reason for that especially if you have several partitions on the drive and/or want to dual-boot now or in the future using a 9X O/S. There's a good guide on this by Hoss over at Harry-O's site here:- ***********.webtree.ca/windowsxp/index.htm Also you might find more here:- ********members.aol.com/AXCEL216/xp1.htm There is a link IIRC on Harry's site to a good M$ knowledge base article on this very issue.

So there's the other angle to the story, whatever you deceide on though use the full format and not the quick format option.

HTH :)

Flagg Jul 12, 2002 09:22 AM

ye but :) if you burn stuff :) pref dvd's NTFS does have a londer word lenth and will deal with like 99% of backups/dvd's/new pc games as the fat32 tho it is compatable with most stuff as time moves on and things get faster and bigger then it will slowly become more of an issue with general soft/hardware :)

Lazza Jul 12, 2002 10:33 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Flagg [/i]
[B]ye but :) if you burn stuff :) pref dvd's NTFS does have a londer word lenth and will deal with like 99% of backups/dvd's/new pc games as the fat32 tho it is compatable with most stuff as time moves on and things get faster and bigger then it will slowly become more of an issue with general soft/hardware :) [/B][/QUOTE]
Yep, I agree with you.

There are plus points for both formats, you just have to deceide which ones are important to you the user. :)