CDROM-Guide forums

CDROM-Guide forums (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/index.php)
-   CD-R & CD-RW (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CD/DVD not visible in My Computer, Device Manager, BIOS (http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304502)

creativegb Mar 22, 2009 02:28 AM

CD/DVD not visible in My Computer, Device Manager, BIOS

Greetings!
Two days ago, while using Vista OS, a Message popped up from my System Tray; it read something like “Found New Hardware … Drive … installing Drivers … Your new hardware is now installed …”.
After that my CD/DVD Drive ceased to be recognized by the System—BIOS, Device Manager, My Computer et al.

My PC configuration is as under, please:-
I am using Intel D945 GCCR motherboard with Pentium 4 processor. The board, however, has only one slot for an IDE 80-way (or 40-way) data channel; per force, I am using a PCI card to connect to LG’s CD/DVD Reader/Writer (Make: LG).

I am using a Seagate 80GB PATA HDD with two partitions (format: NTFS)—for dual boot (Windows VistaSP1 and Windows XPSP2) [The latter is being used purely to enable retrieval of important documents IF Vista ever fails to boot].
Now even in XP the said CD/DVD Drive is not visible.

I checked the power and data cables. In fact, I interchanged these between my HDD and CD/DVD Drive—the HDD works fine; this shows that these cables and the PCI card are OK.

I used the same cables on a Samsung Combo Drive and on the (OEM) CD-ROM—none of these, too, were visible in ‘My Computer’.

Then I checked the following Key in the Vista’s Registry and took a screenshot of the same (which can be emailed to your goodself upon receipt of your Reply, please):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Currentcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

As suggested in this Tech Forum, I first exported the said Key to my Desktop and then deleted the REG_MULTI_SZ data type Lower Filters (the Registry has no Upper Filters) from the Registry. And re-booted the PC; yet the above issue has not been solved, please.

KINDLY ADVISE ASAP.

chandler68 Mar 23, 2009 09:34 PM

If the drive is NOT being detected by the BIOS then the first thing that needs testing is the drive itself.

colin.

Radroy Jun 12, 2009 09:06 PM

similar problem

my system (xp pro) doesn't play anything from cdrom. put in a disk and nothing@ sys manager says it's working properly. Same when I run a diagnostic. Help!!!!

HERO99 Aug 13, 2009 04:39 AM

really big thanks
---------
www.dvdprostore.com

bookmarkmaster Aug 31, 2009 02:36 AM

CD/DVD not visible in My Computer, Device Manager, BIOS

i recently bought a new dvd burner and hooked it up, now both my burner and original cd rom drive (that i left hooked up) are not working. I went to the device manager and the dvd-rom/cd-rom tab is not listed. i have power to both drives. i tried switching the IDE cable, but still inop. ive read a few threads and saw to delete data out of the registry, but i do not see a upper and lower filter, is that the exact name in regedit? Please help!!
********bookmarkopedia.com/