View Single Post
Old Feb 07, 2002, 06:07 AM
Veteran

Default OLS SPACEMONKEY THREAD

OC-Freak
Member posted 10-24-2001 03:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAHAHAHA!!!! Plextor is no better than Lite-on!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist

Anyway a friend of me had the same problem once with an ABIT(Abit is the same as crap) motherboard. The solution for him was to buy a new mobo(asus, the best you could get) then everything worked.

I also ran into power problems with a 250Watt high quality Fortron/source powersupply, not big enough for my system ( 3 HDD, 4 CD-units, AMD 1,4GHz and loads of fans and cards). So I bought a kicking PSU which cost the same as 2 mid tower cases with PSU.....Enermax 550Watt....should be enough? Actually I tested with a 300Watt and that was actually enough......

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you get them sorted out....

spacemonkey15
Member posted 10-24-2001 08:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i have just been into work and tested my setup with an ATX 250w PSU
Guess what happened ?

yep same problem !

So i have to conceed that this IS a mobo incompatability problem.

Which is very odd if you ask me.

I now have 5 options :-

1. return the plex and buy exactly the same make and model burner i was going to replace.
(samsung 304b combi)

2. buy a new mobo/case/psu and hope a new mobo works. (not ideal because this will cost sh1t loads of cash).

3. try one of those "PCI IDE Ultra DMA 33" controller cards. (30.00)

4. smash my pc and claim on my house insurance then get a totally new system.

5. cry

spacemonkey

ps/ can anyone give me any more info on these "PCI IDE ultra dma33" controller cards ?

if the problem lies with the onboard intel 810i chipset then would a controller card over ride the 810i IDE controls ?

or would you expect me to get exactly the same problem ?

jase

Hmmm
that is a very weird problem :/

Well, the IDE card should sort the problem out but god only knows what is up with your system and it might not fix it!!!

If you want one of these cards I'd suggest heading over to ebay, there are a few guys selling OEM Promise cards quite cheap (15 or so).

The card should work in addition to your IDE ports so they should be OK.

That'd be the next step for me, or just buy a new mobo. Buying the same type of CD writer is just building up trouble for your next upgrade

EARLTHEPEARL
claim it on your house insurance/
or/
format your HD and reload//can't hurt

------------------
etp

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 10-25-2001 09:26 AM
There have been some problems with the 810 MOBO. But if you can get it to work , who cares!
The intel815eea is a very stable board if your an INTEL man. If not get the ASUS duron ddr.

EARLTHEPEARL
I had to laugh with OC freak! I'm sorry! It won't happen again.
PS/My friend(yes I have one), built a house around his swimming pool. Maybe you could build a box around your new plexi!

spacemonkey15

I have managed to pick up a "promise PCI Ultra ATA 100TX2 controller card" for 22.00.
I should get it sometime next week.

I had a look around the net earlier on today and found a few other posts about the 6178 mobo intel 810 not working with "ATAPI Interface (PIO Mode 4, Multiword DMA Mode 2, UDMA/33 Mode 2)".

So hopefully this controller card will fix my nightmare once and for all. I wont hold my breath though !!

I got a pc tech from work to have a look at my pc and he said he had NEVER seen anything like this before. He also said that because the pc was stalling as soon as power up, no amount of altering bios settings would make any difference what so ever. His diagnosis was "thats ****ing weird, try a controller card or buy a new mobo".

Bloody pc's !! I should just stick to my playstation 2.

But without a burner how can i backup my ps2 collection ?!

I will post back after i have got the controller card so you can all have another good laugh !!

cheers everyone

spacemonkey ********clix.to/backupcentraluk

barracuda

Try using the CS jumper instead of master if the drive supports it.
My mobo don't go unless the master is set to CS if you have 2 drives on 1 channel(primary).

It would rarely make it through POST. Sounds like you have a similar problem. Justa hunch, though, since i think my cdrw on secondary is set to master.

Galron

It's sounds as a VERY frustrating error. Keep calm and when you get frustrated STOP solving the problem. A PC is NOT worth it!
When I can't find a problem, I always start with a basic setup: Powersupply (and no CASE!!!), Mainboard, CPU, vid-card (any ISA or PCI will do!!) and Memory + floppy drive and ofcourse a virus clean bootfloppy.

Adding Devices One by One, beginning with the one giving troubles can give some clues of incompatible hardware. If PC and drive won't work whith above discribed config, u know that this config gives u the problem. Try change the components One by One. (Memory and Vid-card). When that doesn't help u know it's the mainboard, cpu or powersupply. Try to change that (by borrowing !!!) and you might find the problem.

In your Case it isn't a driverproblem because your PC simply won't boot with the CDR drive connected.

I would certainly check following:
-Pull voodoo card outof system
-Pull HDD outof system

GOOD LUCK

spacemonkey15

did all that.
mobo+plex, mobo+plex+HD, mobo+plex+HD+voodoo,

non of the above got my pc to boot.

I have since got the damn drive working !!

guess how ?

i put EVERYTHING back into my pc.

connected the plex power supply.(no IDE)

booted pc.

entered bios.

went to "autodetect HD" screen.

connected IDE onto plex (jumper as master).

clicked "detect".

and wallop.... it found the plex.

I have since been doing some burning using nero and clone. Everything seems fine, i have no conflicts in devices/system.
I can burn 783mb in 4 mins (mp3 to cda).
Also tested a few ps2 backups, all working fine .

However, when i power off my pc i have to remove the IDE again before booting. Then re-connect when in bios !

Im not to sure if this is wise but it is working. I just hope i dont blow my pc up connecting the IDE to the plex in bios.

Can anyone explain this ?

spacemonkey ********clix.to/backupcentraluk

jase
Ouch.
This is definitely a power supply problem of some description. It seems that something is happening when you first switch the PC on which is stopping the mobo from seeing the power as "good". Does the green light come on at the front out of interest.

I don't recommend doing this as a permanent measure. You will fry your mobo eventually. When are you getting the new IDE card?

OC-Freak

Agree, it's either the mobo or the powersupply.......
Connecting and disconnecting things when the PC is on is never a good idea......You'll remember this if your mobo blows....

EARLTHEPEARL

I hope the IDE card fixes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It sure sounds like new case and mobo time.
------------------
etp

Greven
Junior Member posted 10-29-2001 09:05 AM
Ehhhh...
Sorry to say but I've had big problems with the "promise PCI Ultra ATA 100TX2 controller card" and LiteON 24x. The 100TX2 works perfectly with HD's however connect a CD or CDR to it an it hangs the machine when the drive is accessed. The LiteON works like a charm on the onboard UDMA 33 however connect it to the Promise and it hangs. Maybe this is only my machine (running WinME) and I hope you have better luck.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else have got a Ultra100TX2 working with the LiteON?

/Greven

EARLTHEPEARL

Greven, his on board controller is not working. So this is his last try and he switched the liteon for a plexi.
------------------
etp

spacemonkey15

i still havent heard back from dabs about the controller card
their email reply service is crap

hopefully i will be able to get one from somewhere !

anyone know any UK sites which sell the "promise PCI EIDE ATA100" controller card ?

jase

Like I say try ebay

morfeus
Member posted 10-31-2001 07:19 PM
Spacemonkey15, I believe jase is on the right path when he says that it is likely that something happens at the start to make the mobo think that the power is not 'good'. I wonder if it is a particular power line (as jase said, the 12v line, perhaps) that needs to be spot on for these new-fangled 24speedsters? Perhaps even the 250W you tried at work wasn't good enough?
I wonder if the reason you can connect the ide in bios and make it work is because by then the power supply has 'settled down' and is able to supply a steady, clean voltage?

It would seem unlikely that the IDE controller on the *ntel mobo is incompatible since it does work - in a fashion! The engineer guy at work was probably right when he said its unlikely to be the bios because its not even getting to a stage where the bios can say "I don't like that CDRW or whatever - so I won't do the POST" because I thought the very first thing which gets initialised is the video card and then the cpu is checked followed by memory and THEN the various drives/ bits 'n' pieces (no pun intended! etc.

Sorry if this post is a bit long and probably doesn't make much sense, but maybe it'll help?

cHodAX

spacemonkey15 I have seen this happen twice m8 with very similar circumstances. The first was a 250w power supply not putting out enough juice on one of the power rails. An Enermax 350w cured the problem instantly. The second was an Intel P3 chipset motherboard, there was a setting in the BIOS something like 'IDE Delay' which only gave power to the drives after POST. This slowed boot times by 5 seconds but cured it completly.
btw there is a very good chance a UDMA100 PCI Controller card will cure the problem if it is not power related, it wouldn't be the first motherboard BIOS to be flaky with ATAPI drives. Abit and Microstar have done it with a number of boards over the last 2 years.

Hope this helps.

EARLTHEPEARL

Spacemonkey!!!!! Did we leave you on the spacestation/alone
------------------
etp

Gazza
Member posted 11-06-2001 09:18 PM
I think it's because the LiteOn has an Atapi\UDMA 33 Interface.
I have just had a similar problem with an Artec reader that has the same interface, the
BIOS refused to detect it, or them, should I say, I thought the first one was faulty and returned it, but the replacement was just the same, I now have a plain simple LG 52x Atapi drive that works fine.

The most annoying thing is, I have just received an email from my local trade counter offering these drives for 85.00, but it's no use me buying one cos I know it wont work.

BTW: The Mobo is one of the first slot A Athlon boards ( FIC ), I would have upgraded, but I bought the 600MHZ Athlon as soon as it came out, still I,ve nearly finished paying for it.!

Regards,

Gazza.

spacemonkey15
Member posted 11-07-2001 12:59 PM
sorry about coming back earlier.
i have since received the "promise ata100 xt2 controller card" and everything is now working fine

the card picks the drive up as udma2 ?
(i think thats what it says when the cards own bios kicks in).

anyway, thanks for all the help and good advise.

nodoubt i will be back when my mobo blows up

thanks again

spacemonkey

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 11-07-2001 04:46 PM
Great!!!!!
------------------
etp

lio256
Junior Member posted 12-04-2001 09:02 PM
Great Story guys!!!
With a Happy Ending...isn't that nice.

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 12-28-2001 08:12 AM
I moved this up because of new liteon 24x problems.

speckulator
Member posted 12-28-2001 04:43 PM
Just wanted to say it is nice to see this story has an ending that doesn't involve a hammer, gun or psyciatrist! I thought I was the only one that gets wackey problems like that.
Happy Burning
Speck

bigv

hi could you post liteon phone number need to contact them writer knacked.

ps please vern

bigv

hi could you post liteon phone number need to contact them writer knacked.

ps please vern

EARLTHEPEARL
Member posted 12-29-2001 06:39 AM
***********.liteonit.com.tw/index-english.htm
------------------
etp