View Single Post
Old May 26, 2012, 05:39 PM

Question Ram won't recognize

Hello,
I'm hoping to resolve this issue on my own versus RMA. My main issue for the past 2 years my pc has not been recognizing the full amount of installed ram. Each day I log in, in can vary from 2gigs to 8 gigs, only when I've reseated the 12 gigs (6x2gigs) will it show up, until I restart or start up from shut-down it goes away. I've looked into this for a while, when I first noticed the problem, the company was sure it was a faulty stick, I was soo busy with school and work and I really needed my pc and it functioned so I opted not to send it in. With me graduating this month, new job, new games just released or about to release, I would really like to have all my ram working properly. So I researched, heres what i've done so far.
1. I updated my bios to the most recent release using flash 2 utility in bios
2. I tested each ram stick in slot zero (orange) and all of them worked but 1, it wouldn't recognize in that slot or another. So I put in all the "good" (also side note, for the ones that worked I ran memtest just incase)
3. I then took one of the good sticks and checked each slot individually, from what I think there are no faulty slots, if I had to guess maybe channel b dim1?
3. I thought it would be good so of the 6 sticks i'm currently only using 4 in the configuration set by in the motherboards manual. But whats odd is it only recognized the 8 gigs installed for a while, then after a restart i'm down to 6.. and it seems i've been stuck at 6 for a while now.
4. Now when looking at the QVL I noted my Ram is not listed, so I was concerned I contacted ASUS first and they said that's what's at fault. So I contacted my company and they said it should be compatible.
5. I went with Asus recommendation, to go and find compatible Ram( should be here in a couple of days (4x4gigs).
6. So while I wait for the Ram, I did some more forum searching, and I noted my ram mentions xmp, and i've noticed it mentioned in forums, so while I felt comfortable updating my bios, I have not messed with any of the settings. besides switching from auto to xmps.
7. It worked! sorta... it recognized all the ram, so as I was going about on the computer, about 20 mins later blue death screen.... ugh! so it started to do memory dump, so I restarted, before it was even loaded I got the screen again?!?!
8. Went back into bios, changed it back to auto, and now i'm back at 6 gigs, instead of 8.
So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or what else I need to do? The xmps worked, but I have a feeling I should have adjusted? *note I check the ram amount in bios, windows and cpu-z.

But I suppose this will help
Here is my specs on my pc.
CD: LG 22X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (SILVER COLOR [+9])
CAS: Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window & MultiMeter Display [+6] (Silver Color)
CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+700]
CS_FAN: Maximum Enemax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
FAN: #CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) [+22]
HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
MOTHERBOARD: #Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA [+15]
MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+326] (Corsair or Major Brand) (its Super*Talent)
MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
MONITOR: 26' TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+335] (#Asus VW266H 26)
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 1000 Watts Power Supplies [+88] (#CoolerMaster Silent Pro [+47])
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+467] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)