Thread: DC FAQ
View Single Post
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:32 PM
Banned

[b]PROVIDED BY GrimDeath[/b]
veteran
523 posts

This is a written and visual guide to making your non selfbooting Dreamcast games selfboot using the Echelon selfboot kit. I have tried to make this guide as userfriendly as possible, if you have ant problems understanding something feel free to e-mail me.

We begin by opening CdrWin and proceed to burn the 4 second audio track that's included in the selfboot tool kit. You must choose open new session on CdrWin and load the 4 second audio track by clicking on the load tracks icon.

After you burn the 4 second audio track you must now open a MsDos prompt window.

Once your in Dos prompt you must change to the directory where you extracted the selfboot tool kit.

Ok now your in the directory where you extracted the selfboot toolkit now you must run the command: cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -msinfo when you perform this command it gives you a number if you used the 4 second audio track the number will be: 0,11700 you will need this number later on that's why I've put it in red. Ok now we must run the binhack program that was included in the tool kit, here you will be prompted for the name of the binary which is: 1st_read.bin when it asks you for the bootsector you type: ip.bin and finally when it asks you for the msinfo you type: 11700. Notice that this number is the one that you got as a result from the cdrecord command but notice that it is also only the numbers after the 0, this is very important but we'll get to that in a few.

Now that we've modified the 1st_read.bin we place it in the data folder where the rest of the games files are.

Now that we've placed the 1st_read.bin in the data directory we proceed to make the image file of the data folder. If you want to dummy the game you must add the dummy file before you make the image file and name it: 000dummy.dat, and place it in the data directory. I didn't include an image of this since the game I was making selfboot didn't require it but if you guys would like for me to add an image of this step let me know, anyways we proceed to make the image of the data folder. This is achieved by typing this command: mkisofs -C 0,11700 -V ECHELON -l -o data.iso data notice that the number in red which we got as a result of the mkisofs command is typed complete this time. When you type this command you will get a warning message pay no attention to this message its normal.

Once you've finished making the image file you have to inject the ip.bin by running the command: ipins. When it prompts you for the name of the bootsector you type: ip.bin, when it asks you for the name of the iso file you type: data.iso we're almost done fellas.

After you finish injecting the ip.bin to the image file we go and open CdrWin again to burn the image file we've just created. Open CdrWin and choose the file and backup tools icon which is the fourth icon on the top row.

In the backup/tool operation box we choose: record an iso 9660image file, in the image filename you choose the image file we created, in this case the image is called data.iso, in the disc type box you choose cd-rom xa, in the track mode you choose mode 2 and make sure you check the finalize/close session and write post gap checkboxes, now burn the image, and in a few minutes depending on the speed you chose you'll be playing your new selfboot game.

Hope this makes it a little easier for some of you to fully understand this process, this is the first written and visual guide I do, I'm planing on making some more guides just like this one, I will be making a cdi-rip tutorial among others I have planned, so if you have any comments or questions feel free to drop me a line at:
mailto:dcpiratesdotcom@hotmail.com

[b]This guide[/b] was made by [b]Grimdeath[/b] of DCpirates, using the [b]Echelon[/b] selfboot toolkit, much props to Echelon if it wouldnt be for them this tutorial would not be possible. You may post this tutorial any where on the internet as long as you give me credit thats all I ask for it took me a while to make it, thanx. Our site will be up shortly in the next few months, it will contain even more information regarding the dreamcast and the diffrent methods you can use to backup your favorite Dreamcast games, we are not here to compete with any other site that's out there right now, we just think we can help some of you to better understand the scene hope you like the site when it's done. E-mail us your thoughts so far at mailto:dcpiratesdotcom@hotmail.com