Thread: DC FAQ
View Single Post
Old Jan 06, 2002, 03:46 PM
Banned

[b]SUBMITTED BY JO12345: How to convert a DVD to a SFD-Movie[/b]

How to convert a DVD to a SFD-movie(Dreamcast Movie-format, MPeg1 - Stream with a special Dreamcast Audio-Track)

I used a document found on CD-Rom-Guide for this :
[URL=***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/003056.html]***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/003056.html

author : Rules

Software You Will Need
1. Latest SmartRipper (incredible ripper!)
2. DVD2AVI + VFP Plugin (how this amazing program works? i dont know.. )
3. TMPGEnc 12a With My SVCD Templates
4. S. Movie Creator

Please Read This Entire Page Before Asking Questions Somewhere Else!

1. SmartRipper (put the dvd in your dvd-rom and decrypt to your hard drive)

Note: For this entire procedure, you're going to need plenty of hard drive space. DVD movies are anywhere from 4 to 10 gigs, and u also need the space that the resulting MPEG will occupy, which can be an extra 1 to 2gigs.

Before running it, please play the movie in a software dvd player for only a couple seconds and then close it. This will "authenticate/unlock" the drive.

When you first run it, it will go through a series of IFO files and prepare to actually parse the DVD the way it should be played in a standalone. It will automatically start with the movie section and select the MOVIE. Keep in mind that using IFO parsing (the movie section of the program) you are completely going to not worry about any multiangles or any other weird problems.. such as a music video intermission between your movie files. Those kinds of things will just automatically be left out while it rips.

First... click on SETTINGS, on the Movie tab... set Key Check to only ONCE and set File splitting by every vob-file. Only "Option" checked should be Unlock Drive. In the Files/Backup Tab, set Key Check to only ONCE as well. Hit OK to go back to the movie menu.

Please click on the "Movie" Rip-Method on the top right corner (Default). Your movie length should already be highlighted in the "IFO -> Title -> Angle" window, if it isn't, please do so.

Please select the proper target folder, SmartRipper will also check for available space. The start button will now appear under the settings button. Please click on it

2. DVD2AVI (does exactly as the name suggests...)

Start DVD2AVI.exe and the vfp plugin should be in the same folder if you downloaded it from here.

Proceed to File -> Open and selecting your vob's and pressing add. Then hit ok.

Go to Help -> VFAPI Plugin, this will enable the use of the .VFP file in the same folder (should be checked).

If you know that the audio track is not Track No. 1, then change it now in Options -> Audio Demux -> DD Decoding.

Pressing F6 will bring up a Statistics window that you have to monitor for a couple minutes. Now press F5, the movie will begin to preview.

Here you also want to notice what framerate AND type your movie source actually is. For those of you that do not know, Region 1 (US and Canada) is NTSC (29.97fps), all other regions are PAL (25fps). Also, take note of the aspect ratio and remember it. 16:9 or 4:3 ?

**Most importantly for you NTSC users here is the FRAMETYPE. I suggest you watch a couple of minutes into the movie. If the frametype is ONLY progressive, you're in luck, you can stop the preview and select Options-->Preserve Film. If the movie type is HYBRID, or it shows INTERLACED or switches between PROGRESSIVE and INTERLACED (at least once even!) then make sure that Preserve Film is OFF! Remember whether or not your source is interlaced! You're going to need to know for TMPGEnc. (Borrowed from Purpleman)

Note:
1. For those of you who do not want to bother with interlaced CRAP and don't mind LESS quality. Then DON'T use preserve film but make sure you change the FPS in TMPGEnc to 29.97 and that 3:2 Pulldown is not checked in the Main Video Tab, then ignore the Inverse Telecine instructions.

2. DO NOT have preserve film ON for PAL sources.

Press ESC to stop the statistics scanning and F7 to stop the preview.

Before you go on.. I must WARN you to close any CPU intensive programs or anything not necessary.

Go to File -> Save PROJECT (not AVI) and select a drive with space on it. DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL IT'S DONE! ............

If you're still here.. congrats. If you just came back from a reboot, I warned you

Now you have a small .d2v project file and a nice beautiful .wav corresponding with the audio track that was selected. But remember, you can't delete or even change the path name to those movie VOB's until you are done. The .d2v is only a "map" to the exact byte locations of those VOB files. They are still going to be accessed when you encode.

3. TMPGEnc (powerful encoder)

Run "TMPGEnc English.exe" .. or Japanese if you're feeling daring.

At the bottom of program next to Video source, select browse and find your .d2v file from DVD2AVI. For audio source, find your .ac3 file.

---- Please follow the instructions that apply below ---

Advanced :

Video Source Type: Non-Interlaced if your movie is progressive only(DVD2AVI), Interlaced if it is interlaced...
Field Order: Even field first
Source Aspect Ratio: This should be either NTSC(PAL) 4:3 525l(625)ine, NTSC(PAL) 16:9 525(625)line. DVD2AVI would have told you this in the Statistics area.
Image Positioning: Fit to frame (preserve aspect ratio) ** Not 2!

Also, make sure nothing is checked under these options, NOTHING! (especially inverse telecine).

Video - Settings :

Stream-Type : MPeg-1 Video
Size : 640 x 480 for movies(black borders on TV), 352 x 240 for full screen TV-stuff.
Aspect ratio : 4:3 525 line NTSC !!!
Frame Rate : Keep the original framerate
Rate control : "Constant bitrate (CBR)" or "2-pass variable bitrate (VBR)"

CBR if you want your movie fast, 2 pass VBR if you want best quality(doubles the encoding time)

Bitrate(only CBR) : anything from 800 kbit/s(movie fits on 1 CD, quality may suffer) to 2200 kbit/s(high quality).

Setting for VBR :

Minimum bitrate : 0
Maximum bitrate : 3000
Average bitrate : anything from 600 kbit/s to 2200 kbit/s

VBV buffer size : 0(automatic)

Motion search precision : I suggest "High Quality(Slow)"

If you have a full-screen TV-film(no black borders on TV), you can skip the following chapter.

##widescreen movies##
Go back to the Advanced Settings.
Double click "Clip frame"

confirm, that "Resized image is used to display preview" is NOT checked.
now clip the black borders at the top/bottom of the image(search for a bright scene).
Write down the "Size after clipping"
Click on OK.

Go back to the Video - settings.

Now we have to adjust the y-resolution in order to fit the "Size after clipping".(the reolution must be a multiple of 16)

Go back to the "Clip Frame" window.

Now CHECK the "Resized image is used to display preview" box.
If you discover any black borders in the preview, you have to adjust the Resolution in the Video-Settings.

DonŽt use the following Resolutions for your movie:

640x240
640x352

because they are displayed full screen on the Dreamcast(no black borders on the top and bottom of the TV)
##

Press "Start" .. and this will take a while depending on length of movie. Press ok when done to everything.

I recommend you calculate for 15 mins, abort the encoding and check, if everything looks right.

4. Calculation and Cutting

Now you have a pretty big file in front of you, beautiful quality. How do you burn it to play it on a DVD Player? Well, we can use the tools in TMPEG by going to File -> MPEG Tools, but first, we should do some calculating.

First of all, you CAN fit a maximum of 695megs on a 80min CD by burning in Mode 1(5 megs for the player).

So let's say you have a 2 gig SVCD file for a 2hr movie (This is just approximate). You will obviously need 3 CDs, as is the case for most SVCDs. Please note that in TMPGEnc you can only type in the time interval in seconds. So a 2hr movie (7200 seconds) would be cut into 3 like this...

Part 1 - 0 -> 2405 seconds
Part 2 - 2400 -> 4805 seconds
Part 3 - 4800 -> 7200 seconds (end of movie)

Notice that I repeated 5 seconds to allow for error and being cut off in the middle of a sentence. If you've made it this far, you can certainly do your own calculations.

Now... let's actually do it. Go to File -> MPEG Tools, and click on the last tab, "Cut/Join". Click the add button and select your 2 gig Mpeg file and from the scroll down menu select "MPEG1 Video (automatic)".

If at this point you are in tremendous need of space, go ahead and delete your orginal VOB's and/or DVD2AVI project file, but I DON'T RECOMMEND it.

Double click on the filename and for range set from "0" to end of your first cut, in my example would be "2405". Press ok. At the bottom of the window select your Output and remember to label it PART I, don't try to overwrite the file you're using! Press start.

For second cut, double click on the filename of the mpg again, set the beginning to, as in my example, "2400" and end to "4805". Press Ok, CHANGE OUTPUT TO PART II, then press start.

Repeat for however many parts you have remembering to change your output file. You should now have files big enough to fit on a 74min CD.

5. Converting MPeg-1 Video to SFD-movie

Now we have to convert the audio-track.

First weŽll have to De-Multiplex the Mpeg-1 Video.

Go to File -> MPEG Tools, and click on "De-multiplex"

For input choose the movie you want to convert.
choose the output name/directory of the video-/audio-file.
click on "Run".

Now we have a M1V-video file and a MP2-audio file.

convert the MP2-audio to an uncompressed WAV-audio(f.ex. with WinAMP and Diskwriter PlugIn)

Start the S. Movie Creator.

Video-material file : the M1V video you just created
Audio-material file : the WAV audio you just created

Type : Sofdec Data(.sfd)

The Duration and Video options should be greyed out, if not go back to the de-multiplex part, there seems to be a bug in TMpeg or S.MCreator...

Audio : 22050 Hz, Stereo, 196 kbit/s (results in a SFD-file that has the same size the MPG-file has)

now click on "Start Encoding"

Now you have a ready to burn SFD-movie.

Burn it with the SFD-player as MODE 1 ISO(for non-selfbooting movie)

[b]Thanks jo12345![/b]