Thread: DC FAQ
View Single Post
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:48 PM
Banned

how to change the faces in thps2
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Noct:
First thing to do is open one of those bitmaps I described and look at what Im talking about.
Im in the process of actually doing this,so Ill walk myself through it.
Open ISO>SKATEDIT>FCEBLUE2.BMP
(thats what im using,try and match the hair pattern to your own as best you can)
in PS.
Notice the picture is within a square, and all the pixels are flush to the edges.
It almost looks like this haircut is some wild afro,but actually when that wraps around,its just a flat head of blue hair.
Just like the neck looks distorted into almost shoulders,once that wraps around the smaller polygon on the bottom of the head,itll just be a neck.
Thats what I meant by the picture will be distorted.
Ok now open the picture of yourself you want to put on the guy.
By the way,be very selective when you choose what picture to use,it should be a level straight on picture of your face, without any bizzare shadows or lights going across your face.
(Im personally using a wedding photo,cuz its the only professional picture of myself I have.
I imagine like a school photo,or drivers license picture would be fine.)
On a side note,you really only need one side of your face,(explain later) so if you have a good frontal shot of your face,and one side of it is too dark or something..you can still use it.
Ok, heres the actual hard part.
Zoom in real close on both pictures, then take the polygonal lasso tool,and try and select just the face,and neck on the actual game bitmap.
Try to keep all the hair out of the picture.
(little tip on ripping pictures in PS,dont even attempt to try and do selects all on one pass,work on small areas at a time,and then add,or subtract to the selected area.
You can make your select tool be subtracting,or adding by holding either ALT "-", or SHIFT "+" while you click the first point.)
Once youve gotten it selected, in PS6 go to IMAGE>MODE>
indexed color is selected,change it to RGB.
Now, go to
IMAGE>ADJUST>brightness and contrast
Now play with this slider, and try to get the skin tone of the game character as close to the tone of your face in the picture your using as possible.
Dont worry about wether or not it makes the face look squirrley, your not going to use the features on that one anyways.
Once youve done that,deselect the image,and then select just the hair.
(it doesnt have to be perfect,the pixels are so small you probobly wont notice if your off a little.)
Now go to LAYER>New Layer
click ok,and it sets a new blank layer on top of your image.
Now take the airbrush tool,and change its color to your hair color.
Now spray over all of the hair pixels until you can see it anymore(inside of the selection area you put around the hair.
Now goto
LAYER>LAYER STYLE>BLENDING OPTION
this will bring up an options menu with an adjustable slider that says "opacity".
Slide that to the left until you can see some of the features of the hair underneath,but not so much that you lose the color.
Now goto
LAYER>FLATTEN IMAGE
Hopefully at this point,the complextion,and hair color match the photo your comparing it to in some respect.
Now to the actual picture of you.
select from your face,a chunk that basicly covers your mouth,nose,and at least one eye.
(You can select both, but your only going to use one.)
Once its selected,copy it (CNTRL+C)
Now back over to the game image,paste it in.
(CNTRL+V)
Its obviously going to be way off sizewise,probobly way too big.
You can scale it down by resizing it(CNTRL+T)
Get it as close to the right size as you can,and try to size/position it so one eye
is perfectly overtop of the old eye,and the nose and mouth line up to the middle of the face.
Once youve got it in place,apply the resize,(just click a different tool,then click APPLY on the pop up window).
Now with the airbrush tool(resizeing if needing) set to whatever the basic color of your skintone is(use the eyedropper tool to select a color directly)
and try to blend the piece/pieces you placed on the game image into the rest of the face.
You only need one side of the head,so dont bother doing both.
The reason youre only doing half is that this is will look much better if its completely symetrical,so i find it best to do one side then copy it to the other side.
Once everythings looking ok,you need to select exactly one half of the image with it cut straight down the middle of the face.
Copy one side of the face then paste it on the other side flipped over.
(EDIT>TRANSFORM>FLIP HORIZONTAL)
Once its in place flatten the image again.
If it didnt match up perfectly,you can do a little fine detail editing around the seam down the middle to try and fix it up,but dont forget these are small pixels,and your never really going to see a real close up of it in the game anyways.
Now goto
IMAGE>MODE>ands select INDEXED COLOR
In the pop up window select the palatte as
PREVIOUS is it is available,or
MASTER(selective) if its not.
and hit ok.
now just hit the close button in the right corner of the image in photoshop.
PS will ask you if you want to save it,say yes,and rewrite it overtop of the original image.
(always make backups first)
And thats pretty much it.
Editing logos on shirts,and the images on boards is pretty much the same thing.
Wow...maybe this shoulda been in the faq folder.

thanks Noct!