CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 01, 2006, 11:39 PM

Angry CODE 10=not recognizing mouse/keyboard!! HELP!

So I recently received help on fixing my CD-ROMS (fixed) then asked for help on installing a new DVD-ROM (eventually figured it out) but I fear something screwed up; all of the sudden my keyboard isn't being recognized nor is my mouse.

I use a PS/2 mouse and a PS/2 keyboard. The weird thing is that when I start up windows, the keyboard lights up and does it's normal thing, and if I click "Delete", it will take me into BIOs and it works and what not. However, once it gets to the "Windows Loading" page or whatever (I'm using XP), then the lights flash off and it is no longer recognized. Under device manager, there's nothing there about keyboards. When I unplug and then plug in, the lights flash on and then off. And nothing (The unplugging/plugging is done while the computer is on and I'm at my desktop).

For my mouse, under device manager it just shows the icon for my mouse but also has a yellow triangle and when I click on it, it tells me the device cannot work (Code 10).

The only reason I was able to find this out is because of my Wacom drawing tablet; it's plugged in via one of the USB outlets and I'm using the drawing pen as a temporary mouse . However, I can't type anything so I can't go into the searchbar or anything on Google to look it up so I'm using another computer.

Any suggestions? I have tried to uninstall the mouse but nothing came of it once I restarted my computer (it was just back with the same yellow alert sign once I put the mouse back in). I've tried two other mice and the same thing. Same with my keyboard and the same flashing on and then off (once put into the computer when my computer is at the Desktop) happens (I've tried THREE different keyboards ).

If anyone can help me...that would be WONDERFUL. I know that if you've seen all my threads, you're probably wondering why this computer that I turn to once MINE goes completely haywire hasn't just somehow died XD haha well it would but but!!! If someone can help me fix my computer, I'd be so grateful!!!!!!

Thank you!
Old Jul 02, 2006, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated.

For the Mouse as it's icon is shown in device manager, try deleting it and rebooting, this may then be reinstalled at boot up

Try going through the "Add New Hardware" to see if you can reinstall it this way.

You could also try doing a "System Restore" to a date before this started to happen.

colin.
Old Jul 02, 2006, 09:38 PM

Thank you Colin for your suggestions!! =D I very much appreciate them.

Now I've done the whole uninstalling and rebooting, but it just shows the same error/code 10 thing.

Then when I go to Add New Hardware, it takes me to a Troubleshooter, but it's just a blank page =/. And when I search for information about the mouse in the Help and Support thing, and I answer all the questions and follow their suggestions as well, it says they cannot fix it.

When you say "System Restore", I'm not sure what you mean...well I understand but where do I go to do that?

Again, thanks for your help =)
Old Jul 07, 2006, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.

If this dousn't do it, i would consider doing a format and full system reinstall.

colin.
Old Jun 04, 2007, 09:09 PM

Default missing Mouse Issue

I'm have a similar problem.
The Catagory for Mice and other ....is missing.
Keyboard responds but....
Tough to work a laptop w/o a mouse or pointer.
I suspect a corrupt registry.
USB will not accept a mnouse or drive
since saving the data is critical, could a XP SP2 install OVER an existing install provide some relief and get me to the point where data can be saved?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:46 AM

Default missing Mouse Issue

I just had this issue with a mouse. USB keyboard and PS/2 mouse does not show. Cannot Start (code 10). According to MSoft this is "by design" I cannot understand their reasoning but the fix is simple. Use PS/2 keyboard and mouse OR use a USB keyboard and mouse. Problem fixed, no more error.

It happens because windows (2000 and XP) do not start the PS/2 IRQ12 port device. It is not the actual mouse or keyboard that is faulty. They will work fine in various other configurations.

The first time I came across this I became convinced that I needed some exotic/now obsolete keyboard driver (msoft suggest this solution first msoft kb258797). But the old chicony has worked fine in many other machines and accesses bios etc with no problems. i wonder how many perfectly good mice and keyboards have been scrapped because of this "designed" anomaly.

Last edited by Condover; Nov 12, 2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: correction plus add ms Kb reference.