CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 05:39 PM

Question Ram won't recognize

Hello,
I'm hoping to resolve this issue on my own versus RMA. My main issue for the past 2 years my pc has not been recognizing the full amount of installed ram. Each day I log in, in can vary from 2gigs to 8 gigs, only when I've reseated the 12 gigs (6x2gigs) will it show up, until I restart or start up from shut-down it goes away. I've looked into this for a while, when I first noticed the problem, the company was sure it was a faulty stick, I was soo busy with school and work and I really needed my pc and it functioned so I opted not to send it in. With me graduating this month, new job, new games just released or about to release, I would really like to have all my ram working properly. So I researched, heres what i've done so far.
1. I updated my bios to the most recent release using flash 2 utility in bios
2. I tested each ram stick in slot zero (orange) and all of them worked but 1, it wouldn't recognize in that slot or another. So I put in all the "good" (also side note, for the ones that worked I ran memtest just incase)
3. I then took one of the good sticks and checked each slot individually, from what I think there are no faulty slots, if I had to guess maybe channel b dim1?
3. I thought it would be good so of the 6 sticks i'm currently only using 4 in the configuration set by in the motherboards manual. But whats odd is it only recognized the 8 gigs installed for a while, then after a restart i'm down to 6.. and it seems i've been stuck at 6 for a while now.
4. Now when looking at the QVL I noted my Ram is not listed, so I was concerned I contacted ASUS first and they said that's what's at fault. So I contacted my company and they said it should be compatible.
5. I went with Asus recommendation, to go and find compatible Ram( should be here in a couple of days (4x4gigs).
6. So while I wait for the Ram, I did some more forum searching, and I noted my ram mentions xmp, and i've noticed it mentioned in forums, so while I felt comfortable updating my bios, I have not messed with any of the settings. besides switching from auto to xmps.
7. It worked! sorta... it recognized all the ram, so as I was going about on the computer, about 20 mins later blue death screen.... ugh! so it started to do memory dump, so I restarted, before it was even loaded I got the screen again?!?!
8. Went back into bios, changed it back to auto, and now i'm back at 6 gigs, instead of 8.
So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or what else I need to do? The xmps worked, but I have a feeling I should have adjusted? *note I check the ram amount in bios, windows and cpu-z.

But I suppose this will help
Here is my specs on my pc.
CD: LG 22X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (SILVER COLOR [+9])
CAS: Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window & MultiMeter Display [+6] (Silver Color)
CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+700]
CS_FAN: Maximum Enemax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
FAN: #CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) [+22]
HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
MOTHERBOARD: #Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA [+15]
MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+326] (Corsair or Major Brand) (its Super*Talent)
MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
MONITOR: 26' TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+335] (#Asus VW266H 26)
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 1000 Watts Power Supplies [+88] (#CoolerMaster Silent Pro [+47])
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+467] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Closed Thread

Tags
memory, ram