CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 24, 2002, 07:51 AM

Unhappy network A PRINter help

sponsored links

i have a vigor 2200 adsl router, ive got 3 comps networked, one with xp and the ohter 2 on 98 se. The router has 2 usb slots, one for my modem and the other i was hoping i could connect my printer to. Basially i want to be able to share a printer on the whole lan but without a master computer being switched on, ad im sure i can do this with this router. PLease somone help me.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 07:58 AM

Also does anyone know of a way to restrict bandwidth limits on the compuets in the lan network. for example, if i want 1 computer to have more bandwidth than the other, can this be done ?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 03:37 PM
Veteran

What printer do you have?? Model and serial Number??

As fa as restricting bandwidth on the local LAN, while I am not familiar with that particular router, normally such consumer products do not have that kind of feature. Now if you had a Cisco Catalyst switch or something, that would be different!!

Anyways, let us know the model of the printer, and we might be able to help you. Some printers can be networked that way, and some cannot.

-Zack-
Old Sep 26, 2002, 04:38 PM

thanks zack for your help i have a hp psc 750. if u could help id love that.

Also i play the game counter-strike a lot, but when i want to make a server so that others can access it from the web, they cant get in. i think this is because i do not have ports open or something. IM confused and have spent hours trying to work this out. so if you could help me out with both ur a star man. Just so u know im running win 98 se. and i have an ip address that changes every time, i think its called dynamic ?. i dont know for sure but maybe i have to create a static ip address as i have heard can be done.