CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 26, 2002, 04:47 PM

Talking Genius NEEDED

sponsored links

ok if anyone can help me here ill be really happy.
i have 3 comps networked together and sharing an adsl connection via a draytek vigor 2200 router. Everything works fine BUT

when i try and create an internet game (for an online game called counter strike), people cannot join my server. when i go to ipconfig in windows the local address of my computer comes up but this is useless as it is only for lan. I have tryed an ip finder program but still when people use try to connect they cant.

i have a few ideas of what is causing this

1) firewall is stoppong them
2) i need to open a port for outside access
3)i need to create a static ip address ( can someone shed some light on this please as i have heard this can be done) by signing up to some comany. I also realise this will not sove the problem but it would help.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME. ive been ripping my hair out trying to figure this out for weeks
Old Sep 26, 2002, 06:23 PM
Veteran

OK. I have not used one of those particular routers, but here is the jist of what you need to do. . .

Look in the router config for something called port forwarding. You then need to look online and find out what ports that the game needs to have in order for other players to connect. You then need to set those ports up in your router to be forwarded to the IP address of your machine. You do need to know your public IP address, which you can also find in the router setup. Forward the ports to your PC and tell people to connect to the public Ip address of your router. For example, I run a Battlefield1942 server sometimes. It uses port 14567 for internet games. I setup my router to forward port 14567 to my PC and everything works great. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Good Luck!

Zack

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]
Old Oct 05, 2002, 05:54 AM

i use to have CS server with dyn dsl... dont worry about make sure your making the sever in internet... not LAN... also i think the port is 27055 or something like that... dont remember... or go to www.counter-strike.net/ and look for the server info....