CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 19, 2002, 04:41 AM

Default A couple of networking questions...

sponsored links

I'm new to networking and am confused with what i need.
I am having broadband istalled and need to network my Desktop (me) and my laptop (xp). I have 2 network cards installed and know i need to get a crossover cable. However i want my desktop to be the main pc with the modem connected to it. Do i have to have 2 network cards on the main machine so i can plug the cable modem in to one and the crossover cable into the other...also if i want to use the net on my laptop in the other room, does the desktop need to be turned on? i know all this will have been asked before, but im totally confused..any help on how to set up and configure would be appreciated

Any links also would be a help..

[email]chrisskelton@ntlworld.com[/email]
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:20 PM

You would be better off if you connected the modem to a router then run cables from the router to the desktop and laptop.Could even go wireless since you have a laptop,that way you could use it anywhere in the house.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:56 AM
Veteran

Ok, so you have a broadband modem connected to PC
you need one NIC for that connection
Now you want to connect Laptop to PC to connect to the internet... correct?
Well ys, you would need another NIC, and a crossover cable for that connection, but there are other factors involved.
First... what ISP is it?
See, if its someone like verizon or AOL... then you could either A) have a ton of trouble, or B) not get it to work at all.
Also, If you use the above configuration, then yes
The PC will have to be turned on
And you will need NAT software, like NAT32 or ****ogX.
Basically, whats happening with this type of configuration, is you are turning the PC into a LAN server, and the Laptop becomes a workstation.
While this is possible, and can be done fairly cheaply... since you arent confident in your networking skills, i would recommend what was suggested by Tman, and go with a router.
With the router in place, the router becomes the LAN server instead of the PC, so the PC does not have to be on to connect to the net with the laptop.
Also, the Router provides a hardware firewall btwn your PC's and the internet.
And lastly, with a wireless router, ... you could be anywhere in the house, on the laptop, and connect to the internet.
Now of course, were talking a lot more money than just 2 NIC's and a crossover cable.... but whats the price on days of aggrevation?
The Wireless router, and 2 nic's will run you in the neighborhood of 200$
but just a router and Cat5 cables for both machines will run you bout 100$.
You have options
Heres some links to help you out
***********.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
***********.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp

Last edited by CapBlye; Oct 20, 2002 at 01:10 AM.