CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 05, 2002, 04:41 PM

Default future of protection

sponsored links

i have an essay due on the future of software/media/data protection, specifically protection of data, music and movies on the net, i need ideas on what will be done to stop creation and distribution of this stuff stuff over the net, what some of the most recent advances in protection are. any links to news articles, reliable sources would be much appreciated, also any other forums where i could ask.

stu.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 10:04 PM
suspended

Your best bet is to hit www.google.com and start searching.
Links to other forums are not permitted here.

Here are a few to get you started, I found them within 30 seconds of doing a google search:

***********.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/2002/7/08/copy-protection-full.htm

***********.disctronics.co.uk/technology/cdaudio/cdaud_copyprot.htm

***********.macrovision.com/solutions/audio/SafeAudio_FAQ_04Sept02.pdf

If you want a personal opinion on copy protection methods, they don't last long. You have two groups of dedicated smart people in the copy protection world. Those that design the next generation of protection and those that defeat it.
An example is SafeDisc2 ,specifically designed to prevent disc copying by targeting a weakness in CD Burner design, At the time Burners were not very good at burning repeated bit patterns so Safedisk2 was designed to deliberately incorporate this data into the 'copy protection' area of the disk. The next generation of burners overcame this design deficiency and so SafeDisc2 is no longer the 100% copy protection it was touted to be.

So if person 1 can invent a method to stop copying, person 2 will find a way to defeat it.

Also from a moral standpoint I'm against Copy protection, Copyright is not absolute , most countries allow restricted copying of works for research or educational purposes and 'personal backups'. That is the consumer has the right to protect their purchase by making a copy to safeguard against damage to the original.

Now if there was a 100% guaranteed method of copy protection that then circumvents the consumer's right to free and open enjoyment of the Work and the ability to protect their 'investment' in the purchase of that work by making a personal copy.

Commercial breech of copyright has legal recource, sell pirated CDs at the Markets and Sony et al is within their rights to have the Police raid it and arrest the people responsible.
Copy protection is aimed at stopping all copying, ignoring the rights of the individuals in an attempt to preserve profit margins.

Good luck.

---------

Feel free to quote me, just remember to include a reference

Last edited by Darkman; Nov 06, 2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 11:04 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I think in the future companies will get sick of wasting money on copy protections that don't work and realise that they could instead save that money and drop the prices of their products.

Yeah right.

The problem with copy protections is that they have to be compatible and run on existing hardware. This is why every protection so far has been defeated.

The future will involve new hardware designed around and incorperating copy protection,

Also Darkman, it's SafeDisc2 not SafeDisk2.
Old Nov 06, 2002, 10:29 PM
suspended

spelling corrected.