CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 18, 2002, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Default "it's now safe to turn off your computer" XP

sponsored links

hi everyone.

I use to have win98 on my laptop. When i pressed "shutdown" it would actually turn off my machine. (which was really nice)

Now i got xp on it and it gives me "it's now safe to turn off the computer"

Am I missing a driver of some sort?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2002, 04:58 PM
Veteran

try: control panel --> power management --> APM and enable advanced power management
Old Nov 19, 2002, 03:53 AM
Veteran

I can't find APM under power options... My only tabs are "power scheme" "advanced" "hibernate" and "ups"

plz help.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 02:39 PM

Hi m8 i did this after reading this post and i do have APM tab it is 2nd from the end, i am useing Xp home edition , it now shuts down on it's own
Old Nov 19, 2002, 04:09 PM

Just saw a Learnkey video on XP the other day which mentioned this. You should have checked to see if there was a BIOS upgrade for your machine. XP requires a ACPI compatible BIOS for it to automatically shut down (and other power management features). It creates a Hardware Abstraction Layer the first time you install XP. Looks like you will have to see if there is a updated BIOS for your machine and then reload XP from scratch because the HAL can't be modified (according the the video anyway).
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:45 PM
Veteran

I had ACPI enabled in my bios when i installed xp. And still have it installed. I can't even go into standby.

Again- when i had 98se i could go to standby and the computer would also shut down all the way.

My bios is current.