CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 27, 2003, 05:34 PM

sponsored links

bump
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:34 PM
suspended

Well, I think that the wisest thing you could do is try and estimate exactly what you need. The amounts, lengths, ect. Once you have an idea of what you will require, and you should always order more cable than you need, just in case, then you will know if you can buy at bulk rates and whether it would be worth is or not. Sorry for the [b]long[/b] run-on sentence.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:05 AM

Thanx for the help Elaine Where do you recommend I buy the cable from? Any Suggestions??

Bass
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:36 PM
suspended

There are lots of places. If you think that you need 1000 feet, I'd just get a spool as it'll be cheaper.
***********.cablewholesale.com/catalog/cat5cablebulk.htm
***********.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=303
***********.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Id=03080910
Old Jan 30, 2003, 09:24 AM

Thanx Elaine! Those web sites really helped! I think Im gonna go with 2000' of cat 5e from cablestogo.com. No I need to know where to get my switch. I was just reading that my highspeed internet doesnt allow multiple computers on one connection so this mean i need a router right?? anyone point me in the direction of a good router if thats what i need. Thanx again for the help!

Bass
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:34 PM
suspended

You basically need to decide whether you can do with just a 4 port router or want an 8 port router. If you think you can live with having just one laptop online at any give time, then just go with a 4 port. However if you think that could become a problem, go with an 8 port.
I found the Linksys 4 port BEFSR41 for about $58. and the Linksys 8 port BEFSR81 for about $80. on www.pricegrabber.com. That would include shipping charges.

I also think that if you have the time and inclination, that it wouldn't be [b]that[/b] hard to do virtually all of this yourself. Of course, you'd need a crimper and probably a cable tester, but other than that, the hardest part is untwisting the cat5 into the correct sequence and shoving it into the connector. That just takes some practice. You'll have extra cat5 and you can order extra connectors as they are very cheap. If you practice a bit, you'd be surprised how easy it becomes.

Last edited by ElaineM; Jan 31, 2003 at 12:44 AM.