CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 08, 2003, 09:10 PM

Question "non-strand" and then DVD9 to 5 ?

sponsored links

Hello,

I have a technical DVD we bought at work related to Boat Building and vaccum resin infusion (it's riveting let me tell you. I won't spoil the ending but lets just say it involves a lot of water, a New Zealander and his favourite sheep sailing off into the sunset...)

Anyway, this thing cost us USD$975.00 (that's right nearly 1K, not $9.75 or even $97.50) I told by our techies and operations guys that it's worth the $$$ but the problem is they all want to look at it, take it home , show customers and fellow boat builders, all of which is making me nervous knowing that a single scratch can make it worthless.

So I want to back it up and then they can have the copy to play with and use it as a coaster for all I care as long as the original is safely locked away in my bottom drawer.

It's a DVD-9 (7.4GB) but also comes under the category of "non-strand".

There is no one main big .vob strand like you get with a movie. Instead the sections (all 42 of them) are divided into thier own seperate .vob strands. The largest is 842MB with the average being 40-70MB.

I need to backup the complete disc, as is, with everthing on it.

My question is -

Can I use the "non-strand" method described on this site to take care of that issue (ie - to get everything into one .vob strand)
***********.dvd2dvdr.com/Episode_Guide.htm

and

then take my newly created "single-strand" .vobs and use a standard DVD-9 to DVD-5 conversion method to fit it all onto the one DVD-R.

(there are no subtitles but I do need to keep the chapters from the original)

Hope that makes sense. I'm going to try it but thought some of you with more knowledge than me, might already know the answer.

TIA, Tim....
Old Feb 08, 2003, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Is there a menu system for this disk? I you did it the way I discuss you won't have a menu anymore if you do. In all honesty though I damn near never recommend this program I would say your better off with DVDXCopy. It will turn it into 2 disks, but at least everything will be the same. It jsut sounds like a huge headache for that many VOB's to worry about.
Old Feb 09, 2003, 08:21 AM

Thanks rishardc,

I checked out DVDXCopy as you suggested and I think this may indeed suit what I need for this particular (unusual) DVD type.

This Boat DVD is driven by the menus. ie - You start with the introdiction then you select the next step from the menu, whatch that , then it takes you back to the menu and you choose the next bit you want to watch.

Thanks again,

Tim.....
Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Not a prob. Like I said, normally I wouldn't recommend it, but that seems like a tough disk to remaster if you didn't. Way to much time involved.