CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 15, 2003, 05:24 AM

Default Not sure what to do.

sponsored links

I think it's time for me to have a faster Processor as i've been butting it of for some time. Now what I was wondering is would it be better to get if I bought a brand new pc all together or this place I know do a bundle pack which consist of a (motherboard, fan, processor) so depending on the quailty of the bundle you purchase you decide how fast your processor is. But is this the case are these three or maybe two things the only things I need to worry about as well as i've never fitted a motherboard the most i've done was a dvd-writer and a harddrive. I've got an Athion 900 MHz at the moment but I think i'd like a Pentium next if there the fasters available. Will all motherboards fit in tower cases, i'm I likely to have compactibility problems with anything, will the pci slot at the back line up so I could re-install some cards or is it just like putting in a writer?, and i'll just have a faster pc.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 01:55 PM

I'd go with just purchasing the motherboard, fan, and processor because buying a whole system cost out the <beep>! But if your not sure on how to install it you could goto a computer dealer or repairer and ask them or have them do it or bring in your pc and most sales reps will help you choose what will fit your case (atleast they did with me).
Just call around places and see if they will help. BUt i will definatly not buy a new pc unless u have alot of outdated hardware.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:12 AM

Hey M8, that depends on a lot of things, you first need to be sure the comp you have now is upgradable, like hp, for instance, has a proprietary case design, puttiong the fan in a certain place and all making it more difficult to pout in a new board and get the right air flow, etc. Otherwise, it's really not all that hard Almosst all MBs will fit into most cases, you just need to know which form factor it is, just have a look @ your board, get the #s off of it and do some research to see if it's atx or mini atx, and that will tell you which board to get, most are an atx form factor. If it's atx, all the plugs on the back should line up well. I would NOT buy a brand new, esp from hp, dell, gateway, or the like, they're fine for a lot of people, but not usually the people who like to upgrade. Don't forget that you may not be able to reuse your old ram if you get a newer board w/ ddram.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 02:17 PM

I've got a HP Pavillion 9720 and I want to change all including the ram to ddr, what i'm not to sure about now after speaking to a few ppl is what processor to get Athlon or Pentium. I heard athlon is cheaper but is it better or at least the same. I want a m/b with raid, oh yeah will most m/b accept both Athlon and Pentium ? as I have no idea.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 02:42 PM

The AMD V Pentium war will go on for ever. In my opinion you get more for your money with AMD but they run a bit hotter. They are almost equally capable. If you want an AMD XP chip then you will need a Socket A motherboard. If you choose P4 then you will need a Socket 470. They are different shapes so one will not fit the other.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:28 PM

My two cents is to go for the athlon w/ ddram, Since it is an HP, you may be just as well off getting a new case (good ones for less than $50) with a larger power supply, at least 300W, the hp is probably less than 200 W, mine is 185 on a Pavilion 9780C. Then you can put everything in there and know it will fit, these HPs are iffy. It should be easy to reuse your cdrw and everything else (aside from ram) in the new case.