CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 10, 2003, 04:34 PM

Default PC won't shut down properly [; ; winME]

sponsored links

I'm using Windows ME and a Radeon 9000 both not overclocked.
Recently my computer stopped shutting down properly. I click shut down, the screen turns to black and then nothing. The PC is still on with a black screen. Mouse and keyboard doesn't work during this. I have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

I SUSPECT that it might be overheating but not sure. If this is the case is it likely that its the CPU or the graphics card? It might not be that at all.

I tried antivirus scan, Scandisk (thorough) and also defrag, but defrag freezes up.

Any ideas?
Old May 10, 2003, 04:49 PM
Veteran

I had a similar problem recently with Tiny Personal Firewall 4.5 installed.
Old May 10, 2003, 04:54 PM

hmmm... i had kerio personal firewall installed recently as well, do you think thats the cause of the problem? Did removing the firewall fix it?
Old May 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
Veteran

Well the same story happened with me. It was a recent installation. Just removed it and the problem is solved.

Worth trying as there is nothing to loose. Or you can try disabling it through MSCONFIG followed by a restart and then ShutDown to see whether the problem is solved or not. That is how I came to the conclusion with my problem.

HTH!!
Old May 11, 2003, 04:47 PM
Veteran

I think all (or almost) firewalls have this problem: they don't allow shut down running perfect. I'm working on Win 98 SE and ME and prior manually shut down Zone Alarm and after OS. All the rest of programs don't give any problem in this matter.