CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:13 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

People need to get their facts straight about what happened with Connectix...

Sony never actually bought out all of Connectix, just the licenses and rights to Virtual Game Station. Microsoft only bought the rights to Connectix Virtual Machine Technology (i.e. Virtual PC and Virtual Mac). Connectix is still a separate company not owned by either Microsoft or Sony.

Last edited by QWERTY; Jul 12, 2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 06:45 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by BlackWar [/i]
[B]Actually, that is not true. They are able to read the copy protection in PC CD-ROM drives (how do you think that BLEEM! and Virtual Game Station was able to load origional PSX games and not copies of em, assuming that you didnt apply a crack to them to play a copied game.) I know this because I had both BLEEM! and Virtual game station, and under the origional versions (as in, not hacked), they would not load copied PSX games[/B]
Are you sure about that? I had VGS and it would boot backups, but only those burnt properly with CDR-Win. Its odd really, because my PSOne would boot games via a swap trick which VGS did not, but if I reburnt them properly with CDR-Win, then VGS would boot them. Usually if I looked underneath the burnt cd, if there was a 3-4mm gap near the beginning of the cd where data is, VGS would not boot it, but after reburning with CDR-Win, VGS would boot it. Also with emulators such as ePSXe which use an original PSX bios, the emulators boot backups fine.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:34 AM
Veteran

well instead of all this hacking and cracking, what's wrong with installing a good ol' 6$ modchip and calling it a day? who's with me? eh?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 03:25 AM
Veteran

I really don't think that saving $6 is what motivates people to work on things like this though.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Anarchy [/i]
[B]Are you sure about that? I had VGS and it would boot backups, but only those burnt properly with CDR-Win. Its odd really, because my PSOne would boot games via a swap trick which VGS did not, but if I reburnt them properly with CDR-Win, then VGS would boot them. Usually if I looked underneath the burnt cd, if there was a 3-4mm gap near the beginning of the cd where data is, VGS would not boot it, but after reburning with CDR-Win, VGS would boot it. Also with emulators such as ePSXe which use an original PSX bios, the emulators boot backups fine. [/B]
Actually, yea I am sure of that. That is why virtual game station was bought out my microsoft. As for the copy working in Virtual game station, I have no clue how, but it was designed so copied games could not be played, that is why sony did not sue them, just bought them out.

As for emus such as epsxe, the reason why the free emus can boot backups is because the code for the regon check (also known as the copy protection) is left out. The bios does has a part to do with it, yes, but, all what the bios basicly does is control the hardware, not the copy protection check itself, the copy protection check is hard-coded in the psx hardware itself, not the bios. Kinda the same with CD-ROM drive firmware. Peeps first thought that they could copy psx games if they hacked the firmware of the burner so it would copy over the protection and allow all errors to be burned over, but soon found out that the error control was handled by the hardware itself, and not the firmware.