CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Default A question on Wireless LAN

sponsored links

I went to this company and was chatting to someone. He had the same laptop as me, but he was walking around with it whilst typing to someone on MSN.

Is this Wireless LAN and if so, what do I need to be able to do this in my house with my internet access?

Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:00 AM
Veteran

This is Wireless connectivity - to save me typing it all out as to what you need go [URL=***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=248723]HERE this is a post in Comp Sec where someone else has asked what is needed for a Wireless LAN - should answer your question - if not post back
HTH
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:14 AM
Veteran

Confusing stuff. Can someone explain in idiot terms.

Heres what I have. I have a standard ADSL phone line connected to my PC upstairs. What would I need to allow my laptop and my downstairs PC to use the net without being connected??

Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2003, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Moving to Networking ....

What you will need is simple, either use 2 wireless adapters (one in each machine) and set up an Ad-Hoc wireless network, running ICS on the PC with ADSL connection.

or

Get a all-in-one modem/router/wireless unit, this will replace you existing USB modem, then each workstation will each need a wireless adapter.