CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:57 PM
suspended

sponsored links

Cheers for the update folks. This is turning into a great advertisement for ZoneAlarm. I turned off the alert ages ago as my Cable ISP's IP range was scanned about 20 times an hour but it may be interesting to check out the access attempt log.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 03:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by dcm386 [/i]
[B]Well I didn't go into all the details (sorry )

I had to reformat becuase the virus had gone all haywire and my system would no longer boot into windows (I read that it causes instabiliy/crashes on some systems) it would just hang where the desktop icons etc start to load.

When I reformatted I then downloaded the patch on my uninfected XP PC and then installed it from a cd onto my 2000 machine. Oh yeah also I put 2000 SP2 on this time (its the highest SP I have on a CD).

The 2000 machine is not at the min specs for 2000 so I never had a firewall on it until now. However now ZoneAlarm has been installed and so far today in 2 hours I have had 100 attempts by the virus to get onto my system.

EDIT
------
I also forgot to mention that when I found the virus on my computer there was no real information or tools to remove it. All I could find was Symantec's removal method which told me to use NAV to get rid of the file, however (due to memory constraints on this old comptuer) NAV was not installed, nor will it run when it is installed (have tried before)). So at that point my only option seemed to be to reformat.

Now Symantec has a nice little removal tool out, but I still don't know if this would have worked since windows was not fucntioning properly.

Ether way it worked out in the end [/B]
Ahhaaa, that makes sense now -sorry for getting you to type all that out - should have listened in the first place.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 03:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Darkman [/i]
[B]Cheers for the update folks. This is turning into a great advertisement for ZoneAlarm. I turned off the alert ages ago as my Cable ISP's IP range was scanned about 20 times an hour but it may be interesting to check out the access attempt log. [/B]
Would be interesting to see the logs Darkman this is a [URL=********isc.sans.org/images/port135percent.png]GRAPH of the activityu on the 11th/12th when it seemed to affect most- IMHO I think Zonealarm has never done itself any harm iover the past couple of years and always proved to be very stable.