CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 27, 2003, 09:41 PM

Default Clean all types of CD/DVD media

sponsored links

What is the best way to clean your CDs and DVDs including PS2, video DVDs, music CDs, and PC CDs? This includes originals and burned CDs and DVDs? Can I use the same cleaning method for each type of disc?

Also what is the best way to remove scratches from discs? Is it a good idea to clean your discs from time to time regardless of how dirty they are?

Should you also clean your CD/DVD-ROM drives and burners? If so, what do you use?

Help greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:17 AM
Veteran

I know that the kits they use at blockbuster work pretty well (they have them for sale there). Really good at cleaning up scratched and smudged discs. As for Drives just make sure you use a cleaner that is brushless and doesn't use really nasty chemicals.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:15 AM

Do you open up the CD/DVDROM and burner drives and clean them, or do you buy a cleaning kit that comes with a disc that you put in the drive that spins around and cleans it? You say not to use a cleaner for the drives with really nasty chemicals? What would be really nasty chemicals to avoid cleaning your drives with? That cleaning kit at Blockbuster can be used to clean all types of CD and DVD discs right?

Last edited by Yoshi19; Sep 28, 2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:43 AM
Veteran

I just wash them under the faucet & pat dry, done hundreds of disks this way.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:41 PM
Veteran

I just wash them under the faucet & pat dry, done hundreds of disks this way.
.................................................. ...............................
But don't try to clean your drives like that!
But seriously,I sometimes use a "diskcleaner",but most times just a soft damp cloth then dry with a soft dry cloth.Do not use the cleaner made for vinyl records,it can damage the disks.For deeper scratches,I have a unit called Disk Doctor.It takes a thin layer of the coating off.As for cleaning the drives,only clean them if you are having trouble with them.The cleaning discs won't hurt,but don't help much either.Some use canned air,but the blast of air can knock the laser out of alignment.Most drives never need cleaning ,before they are dead or obsolete.