CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:20 PM

Default 2x DVD-RW on Apple Superdrive (Pioneer A04)

sponsored links

Hi, I am posting on behalf of my father who has an Apple iMac with a Superdrive, a Pioneer A04 I think. There has been some firmware posted to allow the drive to write DVD-RW discs at 2x, but even after this has been successfully applied, he has not managed to write ANY DVD-RW at 2x. He has bought several different brands of DVD-RW, all supposedly certified for 2x writing, but still he can get no faster than 1x.

Has anyone had any success writing at 2x using this setup, or does anyone have any ideas what he could try next. He is considering trying Pioneer branded 2x DVD-RW, but can find nowhere that sells them. He is based in the UK.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Richard
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:34 AM
Veteran

The firmware is for 1X DVD-R's at 2X not 1X DVD-RW's.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:28 AM

Not according to the Apple Support website :

iMac SuperDrive Firmware Update 1.0

The iMac SuperDrive Firmware Update 1.0 application installs new firmware on the SuperDrive which addresses an incompatibility with 4x DVD-R and 2x DVD-RW media, and the 2x SuperDrive in iMac. You must perform this update If you intend to use 4x DVD-R or 2x DVD-RW media in your iMac. This update also enables you to eject audio CDs that are copy-protected or have mastering errors. This update is required only for iMac models with 15" flat panel displays and an internal SuperDrive.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:21 AM
Veteran

Err, my mistake I thought that you were talking about a hacked firmware.

The A04 only writes 1X for DVD-RW, it doesn't matter what media you use it is still a 1X drive and isn't going to write DVD-RW's at 2X any more than it is going to write DVD-R's at 4X.

The update was just to sort out incompatibilities with using 2X DVD-RW's not to actually write them at 2X. Same goes for DVD-R's.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:29 AM
Veteran

Yup ..... as Celtic says, this is to stop you damaging your drive, when using new media, on the A04/104.

If you still want to get hold of Pioneer 2 X RW's, you can get them at ***********.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ for 3.98, but you will be wasting your time, if you want to write them at 2 X.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:27 PM

Aha... that is exactly the information I was looking for. Confirmation that its not possible. I shall pass on the info. Thanks very much people :-)

Richard