CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Default Router question

sponsored links

I ran a security scan on my pc using ********grc.com/

This Is The Result

Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very moment!

The thing is I am sat behind 2 routers, 1 zoom X4 MODEM/Router and 1 D-Link DL-604 how can I have ports open ? I thought that if i had a router that i would be safe from attacks.

Do you recomend using a software bassed firewall on every machine behind the routers ?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:33 AM
Veteran

Hi yer nice one,

Just because you are behind routers doesn't unfortunately mean you're totally safe. Obviously if the routers are running NAT this will help.

I have to say I'm not a fan of GRC's website, but what they usually find open is Port 139, Netbios port which is easy to turn off in your networking tcp/ip properties.

As for running a software firewall I don't bother personally as running NAT and I know what ports are open and for what. I didn't get the Blaster virus though for example even though I hadn't installed the patches on both PC's.

HTH, T.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 03:09 AM
Veteran

You could have the external router forward the ports to the internal router and then have the internal router forward them to the appropriate computer. That might work...unless the routers do PAT (port address translation) in the background. Port address translation is just like NAT except for ports. Some routers use PAT to keep track of session information. I would try forwarding from the router closest to the internet to the next one and then have that one forward the port in to your machine...
Worth a try anyways!

Zack
[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/zack371.gif[/img]