CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 24, 2003, 06:14 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by PhilEnfield [/i]
[B]Well ... if you have a Burner that can quite happily burn at 4 X ..... why settle for 2 X ?

If you were burning hundreds a week maybe the 19p difference would add up, but then again so would the time to burn at an extra 15 mins per disk.

4.75 on 25, seems a reasonable price to pay for the 6 + hours saved and the peace of mind of knowing that your not gambling with the possibility that your drive might give up the ghost in, a few months time, like the 105's did.

Ripping and burning with the Burner is not wise, as it will shorten the life of the drive. Works out cheaper and simpler to get a seperate DVD-ROM drive IMO [/B]

Not really as i burn all my media at 2x regardless of being 2x or 4x media? try burning a movie at 2x and another at 4x on the same 4x media then test them both with cdspeed you'll be amazed at the results, To get to the point regarding myself why pay extra for 4x media when i burn at 2x as the results show the faster you write the more unstabe the disc becomes. Quality comes before speed to me.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 02:25 AM
Veteran

I don't notice a bit of difference between the quality of my 4x burns and other discs that I have burned at 1x or 2x (Burned on G03 Riteks and G04 Riteks). I will go along with PhilEnfield though and say that it is unwise rip and write with the same drive. I had a 105 that was an all-in-one drive for me and I had the hacked firmware. It died after only 8 months of use. I have no idea if it was because the drive was being used for everything or the hacked firmware or if it was a combination of both (I believe that it was a combination of both). To play it safe I am now running a Lite-On 16x DVD-Rom which I now use for all of my reading and I am running official firmware (which makes sense since I have upgraded to 4x discs anyway). Hopefully this one will last longer than my first. If this one dies on me in the next year then I will simply avoid the Pioneer label from now on.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 04:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by geobon [/i]
[B]Not really as i burn all my media at 2x regardless of being 2x or 4x media? try burning a movie at 2x and another at 4x on the same 4x media then test them both with cdspeed you'll be amazed at the results, To get to the point regarding myself why pay extra for 4x media when i burn at 2x as the results show the faster you write the more unstabe the disc becomes. Quality comes before speed to me. [/B]
Well .... like jester, I haven't noticed any degredation from burning at 4 X.
I only use Ritek G04's, but I can imagine if someone was using Princos or cheapies, then maybe instability would be an issue. I must have burnt well over 300 Riteks now on my 106 and have never had a playback problem. All work fine on 2 x PS2's, 2 x different Sony standalones, Panasonic, Cyberhome, Proview and a Pacific from Asdas

IMO the proof of the pudding, is in the eating .... if something works ok, that's it .... keep to it, why mess around with it. The more you tweak the more likelyhood there is of breaking it.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Well as Lazza's old sig used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old Oct 01, 2003, 09:22 AM
suspended

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jesterrace777 [/i]
[B]Well as Lazza's old sig used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". [/B]
Ah, but I never applied it to myself properly though m8.

Trying out the new 106 firmware now, I'm sure all will be fine.