CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:35 PM
Veteran

Default Hey guys need you help with an NTL broadband network

sponsored links

Right guys here is my situation.

I recently got NTL: broadband installed in my house. I connected it to my mates computer and all is fine. I did this directly through the modem without a router being in between.

Then when it came to connect my laptop and another mates computer it wouldnt work. I was getting a error saying something about the DHCP i cant remember exactly what it was.

The internet is currently connected on to my mates computer through the router and works fine but whenever we try and connect our PCs through the router at the same time we get that error.

The Pc connected to the internet is running on XP and my other mates is the same while my laptop is running ME.

If there is any other information you need please let me know i am really desperate to sort this out. Please can someone help

Tom
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:04 PM
Veteran

RogueSpear,

can only guess m8 without the error i'm afraid but things to check for now.

i take it you have the modem connected to the router and then the PC's hanging off the router

is dhcp turned on, on the router?
are the PC's set to dhcp or static assigned ip's?

i would suggest for now having the router with dhcp switched on, and the PC's set to use dhcp. then reboot the router and modem with the PC's connected but switched off. after the modem has sync'd with ntl switch the PC's on and do a ipconfig or winipcfg on them all to make sure they have been assigned an internal ip address. then see how it goes.

HTH, T.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 03:09 AM

You cant use NTL Broadband on two PC's at the same time you have to use one at a time... You also have a limit of signing 5 IP adresses to each NTL Broadband account(I joined NTL Broadband a little over a year ago or something like that so it could be differernt now but those were the stipulations I remember).
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:18 AM
Veteran

Makaveli_786,

sorry m8, but not true. I have had ntl for 5 years now, as used to be senior tech for them in Cardiff, and this has never been a stipulation. As long as you use a NAT'd router you will never have a problem with using as many PC's as you want, well 253 with most routers.
Telewest however make it harder as the MAC of the NIC is bound to the service but even then you can use IP spoofing in the router to solve that. This is not the case with NTL for definite.

CHeers, T.