CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 03, 2003, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Default networking with Xp...i wanna do it properly

sponsored links

Right...i got 2 computers, both running XP Pro, connected with a crossover cable.

At the minute, one connects thru the other for internet, and printers and folders are shared etc, all auto set up by windows.

But what i really want is to make a domain the 2nd computer has to log onto to get on, so that any user could log on on that pc, and i could change all settings like passwords and access from my pc, from the computer management prog in administrive tools (at the minute, whatever i do i can only do local users on it for some reason)

At the minute both pc's are part of a workgroup, but the second pc logs on locally, i want it to have to log onto a workgroup/domain, and have a roaming profile etc. I basically want to have it like a proper network, my pc being the server and the other pc being the single client

I know itd be much easier to accomplish using windows 200 but a) i dont have 2000 and b) its more practical to use xp as they are both home computers.

I kow how to do all this in 2000, and i assumed itd be the same in XP as they are essentially the same OS, but obviously not

And YES...this is all over the top and completly pointless for 2 computers but i wanna do it as practice, cus soon i wanna do the same thing but with about 5 compueters, and while that still isnt a very big network, i want to do it professionally, not just use XP's automatic crap

If anyone can give any advice or knows of any sites that could help, itd be much appreciated
Old Nov 03, 2003, 11:01 PM

There are some excellent networking books at Barnes and Nobles for windows->linux->fbsd->routers->cisco devices,etc - You name it, they got it for networking. Of course, trial and error is the infamous networking handimans guide to the galaxy =)