CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Unhappy Sharing BB Coonection help

sponsored links

right bit of a long story so here it goes

At the start i had broadband going into a computer (windows xp) via usb, and from this computer some cat 5 coming from a NIC to a hub, and then from a hub into my system, enabling me to use the BB connection on both systems.

Now i switch things over i.e. the bb connection going into my system (windows 2000) via the usb, and then some cat 5 coming from the NIC to the hub, and then some cat 5 from the hub to the other system (the xp one). But the problem is, when i connect the two cats 5 cables to the hub the collision lights starts flashing, i ahve tried to play about with the settings on both system but im getting no were so any helpwould be great as i dont really want to have to go back to the old setup (and dont fancy changing the operating systems)

p.s. on the windows 2000 system im running zone alarm but that was off when i was doing all this, incase you think it might be firewall related
Old Nov 16, 2003, 01:49 PM
Veteran

All networks have collisions, it's the way ethernet works. It's just both PCs are trying to use the network at the same time, nothing to worry about.

A network cable only allows data to flow in one direction at any one time. So if both PCs try to send data to each other at the same time then the packets collide and get resent a few milliseconds later - it happens all the time.

Or are you trying to say the collisions are stopping something in your network from working?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:56 PM
Veteran

it wont work, as soon as i plug in the second cat 5 to the hub the lights go crazy.
Also on my system (the one with the bb conection) there is no sign of life on the NIC (i.e the light flashing)
Old Nov 16, 2003, 07:00 PM
Veteran

maybe a dumb question but you havn't switched the cable for a crossover cable have you?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 01:22 AM
Veteran

Quote:
maybe a dumb question but you havn't switched the cable for a crossover cable have you?
That is exactly what I was going to say. Make sure that one of the ports on your hub/switch is not switched to crossover. The setting would be on [b]x[/b] if it were set to crossover...
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:18 PM
Veteran

nope not using cross over cables.

just done ipconfig /all on the xp system and node type is set to broadcast, could this be the problem, since to meant to be recieve teh connection and not sharing it?? if so how do i chance it s i have tried running the network manager etc on xp with no joy.