CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:55 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question restore dual boot w98/xp - how do i do it?

sponsored links

Ok peeps as per the header -

I installed win98( c: ) and then xp( d: ) so that when i started the pc i got a menu asking which one i wanted to boot. But....after i installed a w98 update i was getting probs with ie6 so ......i decided that i would restore an image of w98 that i had done earlier with ghost....but then after doing that my pc just boots straight into w98 with no option to boot xp!

So i am basically wondering how to get the option back to choose which one i want - i mean w98 works fine and xp is still on its partition so can it be done?

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Boot with the Windows XP CD and select the option to Repair with the Recovery Console. It is on the same screen that asks if you want to setup Windows XP and is before the License Agreement screen. If prompted for an Administrator password and you never set one (as with XP Home) then press the Enter Key to leave blank. At the command prompt type and press Enter after each command below:

BootCfg /rebuild
Fixboot
Fixmbr

When finished with Recovery Console remove the XP CD and type EXIT to restart your computer.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 02:48 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

thanks for the advice Harry, but after doing this i couldnt even boot into w98, so i have now ghosted my image back and have decided to reinstall xp.

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:48 PM
Veteran

You could have tried FDISK /MBR followed by SYS C: to get your Windows 98 boot back.