CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 22, 2003, 05:52 AM
Veteran

Default Lost internet connection on Win98SE

sponsored links

This one had me going in circles for a day, one of our clients PC (Win98SE) had slow internet access, after a scan, found a number of worms/trojans, removed by The Cleaner 4.0 as AVG and Norton both failed to clean it, I werent onsite at the time, so I have no record of whats been removed.

Soon after this, all webpages will jump to www.webflashsearch.com, but it cant connect, I suspected a HiJack, so I ran the HiJack tools, it removed the offensive hijack link, everything now seem to be back to normal, except still no access to internet (connection through a office router).

Windows when boot, can see the router and assigned an valid IP within the router IP range, but cant ping, no firewall installed, all AV removed still no luck.

I next removed all the network settings and drivers, as well as all optionss within Communications, restarted, put them all back, still no internet access, and IP still valid.

I next tried different brand of NIC, still no internet access, removed WinSock from registry after removing network card and TCP/IP again, reinstall network settings but still no access.

Anyone can shred some light on this one ?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2003, 08:15 AM
Veteran

Solved it.
Had ZA on PC before, its removed then NIS went on before the trojan kicked in, but somehow the ZA settings kicked into effect after the trojan were removed, by installing ZA again it picked up the old settings and then removed ZA again solved the connection problem.
Just cant work out the logic behind it all even though the problem is now gone.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:49 AM
Veteran

this happened to my friend also, his internet wont connect or anything and everything is just blah blah gone