CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 03, 2003, 01:01 PM

Default ADSL Wireless query?

sponsored links

Hi

I havent got ADSL yet but am going to be getting it very soon. I was going to get a Wireless router and adapters, is this all I need? I have seen some people's reviews on ebuyerdotcom saying that they needed a modem aswell as the wireless router. Is this true?

Here's the router I had in mind:

Linksys Etherfast Wireless Ap - +cable/dsl Router/4port Switch

Do I need an aditional modem?
Old Dec 03, 2003, 02:31 PM

The modem will be supplied by your ISP. (if you opt to provide your own, they will cop out of any service calls you make).

I went with a straight Access point connected to my switch for my Wifi network, $70 for a svec (netcomm clone), it runs 2 PC's. 2 Mame CABS, and 2 neighbours PC's fine.
I can't see how benifit of a built in router can justify the price, if your main PC is on 24/7 anyway.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Gary
You only specified the mauafcture of the routerm not the model, but I guess this is just a router from your short description.

What you will need also is a modem, ISP do supply modem with their package, but you will find that almost 99% of them will be USB only, so they wont work with a standard router, what I would suggest is a all-in-one unit, ADSL wireless modem-router, such as a Dlink 614+ or Netgear 824M just for example.

When you are after wireless, I would suugest a router regardless if your main PC are on 24/7 , the little extra you pay will justify the cost itself by not having to worry a damaged Windows could affect the whole network connection of others.

I am moving this over to Networking where you could get more help there.

HTH
Old Dec 06, 2003, 11:08 AM

Default New query

Okay, I think I've got it now. Still quite confusing though. If I get a Wireless Broadband Router like the 'Linksys BEFW11S4-UK' which when connected to an ADSL modem would share my connection along with a few wireless adapters, I do believe.

But can I use a USB ADSL modem for this or does it have to be an Ethernet modem/router?

Just trying to save some cash here as the Wireless Modem Routers are quite expensive.
Old Dec 06, 2003, 11:11 AM

Also, does DSL/Cable mean that it can only be used by Cable users? Do I have to get an ADSL wireless router?
Old Dec 07, 2003, 05:55 PM

dont 4 get that u need an additional unit for each pc you want to connect. ive been using one and the connection sometimes drop when using upstairs(the router is downstairs)