CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 29, 2003, 03:42 PM

Default Are all cds the same?

sponsored links

Hi!
does it matter which cds or dvd cds u use to burn? I mean what If i use non brand cds do they have a short life time or something? Cause my friend workz in a ware house and he told me that all cds r the same, they just put their company Label On it.. but he doesnt know about dvd cds..

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2003, 05:38 PM
suspended

Well as he works in a warehouse that stores CDs he must be an expert

Actually there is a big difference between CDRs / DVD brands. While co-branding is quite common there is a big difference in the quality from brand to brand.

Ah so your next question is 'what is a good brand', well that really depends on your burner and what you are going to play the disc in.
My DVD player totally spits if I try to play a Verbatim DVDr in it but the PS2 has no problems with them.

The answer is to experiment, buy a couple of different brands and see what works for you.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Perhaps all the CD's in his warehouse are the same...

Anyway, I'm moving this to the media forum.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 02:15 AM
Veteran

Discs with a light blue dye are supposed to be among the best (ie Verbatim, Fujifilms made in Japan) for reading. As mentioned above there are a number of companies that use the same dyes on their disc so it all comes down to who manufacters the dyes and once you get down to who actually manufacters the dye on these discs, there is a definite difference. My PS2 likes the light blue dye CD-Rs but doesn't seem to care much for the others.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 04:15 AM

To be honest, I have used a variety of different cd media, and find that memorex are of a average standard, but datasafe are probably the best. Its not the quality of what u watch, I feel that the cd itself is more durable, and also if left doesn't seem to get as many scratches like the cheaper brands.

unbranded are a big no no for me. they are cheap and taky, and when u get them half don't work or they have cracks... its worth paying that little bit more for your media, and if using for personal use, get uself one of those massive cd wallets.. I have a 400 one and its great!!!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 04:18 AM

but yeah, each individual player, ps2 whatever, has their own preferances... But I have had a samsung dvd player now for around a year, and the thing plays everything.... the only media I ain't used is a make called precision, but will soon find out when I get home 2nite as had a trade.

My player rules.....