CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 27, 2003, 05:23 PM

Default 2 concurrent networks?

sponsored links

Hi

My dads laptop from school is set up with XP Pro. (hp compaq 9500nx or something). When the logon screen comes on, you have two options.

These are in the domain box.

WHS (wales high school)
localuser (or something like that)

Only the admin account works on localuser. If he wants to use the machine in school or standalone, he uses the WHS domain.

That's all ok... but he wants to be able to use a wireless network at home.

I've been and bought a belkin set which was on offer in PC World. PCI card for the desktop, and Cardbus for the laptop.

Just wondering... is there a way he can share files over this wireless network, yet still have the hardwired network available when he takes the laptop with him to school? I presume the internet works regardless?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 05:28 PM
Veteran

either log into the localuser and set up the wireless network on there as it has admin rights, or whilst logged into that, add another admin account called home etc and set up on that

HTH, T.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 05:57 PM

Can't add admin accounts etc.

Reset the admin password before using a linux boot disk lol, the school admin wasn't too impressed with my dad when i bodged up the network settings. Tried to get it onto the 'bossworld' workgroup so he could connect it at home but of course it lost the WHS domain thing.

Not really sure of the difference between all this domain/workgroup stuff. :S

Can it be a member of one workgroup and one domain? Or just on the WHS domain as he usually logs on, then just access a folder on this desktop PC.

Or can we add more domains?