CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:43 AM

Default I need a data backup sollution....

sponsored links

What is the best for data backup when you want to save a whole lotta files, on something that is realtively indestructable?

I am thinking tape drive...but i am not sure....tapes are very expensive, but they hold like 40Gb of data....

are tape drives really really slow? because honestly, i really just want to be sure that all my most critical files are safe for a long time on something that is hard to destroy, small, and very reliable.

CD/DVD disks can be cracked and scratched (i just lost nero 5.5 disk...i hope i don't need to reformat!)
3.5 inch floppies can be corrupted and are just too small
USB keys are nice, and according to some maxPc tests, very hard to destroy, but i have GB and GB of data and can't afford a 500.00 usb key
and an external HD can fall on the ground and die.

am i missing something?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:21 PM

Hi mate have you considered a Zip drive or even a JAZZ drive both are very good and very low cost.
Better still a good solution can be buying a low HDD and backing your data to that, at leats then you can always "sync" your data if needed and store in your pc but without the cables connected that way you'll never forget where you put it!!!!!!!!!!!!
otherwise you can buy web storage and upload it to that but then you are talking mega amounts.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Every media can be damaged. Nothing is indestructible as you say.

I'd prefer an external hard disk than anything else.

Maxtor make some nice ones with a one button backup, but slightly expensive.
Old Feb 06, 2004, 03:28 AM

I'd have to agree with GavBam. I bought a 40 gig HDD, filled it up with data, and put it away in my closet. It didn't cost much either.