CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 08, 2004, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Default !!!i Need Help!!!! System Problem!!!!

sponsored links

It all started when I upgraded my other pc. I needed to format its hard drive because XP wouldnt load because of the new motherboard and cpu. So I attacted the hard disk to my dads pc to copy some files over. BIG Mistake because it somehow made both my computers think that win 98 was installed (dont ask me how because both pcs had XP on them).

When the computer trys to boot I get a win98 boot screen: safe mode, normal, command promp etc and it also says the regestry is corrupt and to run scan disk. I try to load "normal" and it can't find the "command.com" file so i cant run scan disk.

I can't format the computer because it has all my dads files on it mp3s etc so what i did was format MY hard drive and install XP again thinking that I could copy the files over, but XP won't allow me access the drive and says the drive is not formated, and would I like to format it now. I dont want to do that incase loose all te file (i think)

Idealy I'd like to somehow restore my Dads computer so XP boots and his files are still there otherwise I'd like to be able to copy files from one drive to another so I can then format and start over.

Thanks for any help
Jamie
(Ask any questions you need to know answers to)

Last edited by MAX POWER; Feb 08, 2004 at 02:22 PM.