CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 02, 2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jase [/i]
[B]
also follow that you should recommend people don't buy Optorite, BTC, some NEC etc etc DVD recorders? Same principle.

A good burn is not just about a good writer or a good disc. It's about getting a good synergy between the two. A Pioneer A06 with a Ritek disc is a good synergy. A Prodisc with an NEC 1300A is a bad synergy. But that same disc may burn very well on a Pioneer A06.

[/B]
I don't agree with that!! To say only buy pioneer is just as stupid as this post that start this whole thread!!! Why just because you where to pay too much money for something means it good? I think a lot of people had that option about plextor and look how their dvd burners turned out! No I think that statement and this thread is just stupid!! But thats just my 2 cents!!

Last edited by NotAHacker; Mar 02, 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 08:19 PM

... and where exactly did I say only buy Pioneer?

As an owner of NEC, Toshiba, Philips and LiteOn hardware, I'd be a bit hypocritical to say that!!!

And if by implication you're also calling the second part of the portion you quoted wrong as well, then I suggest you try burning different discs on different drives. You are mistaken if you think that media X will work just as well with drive Y as drive Z, it doesn't work that way.

FWIW, the latest Pioneer drive doesn't particularly work well with Ricoh-coded DVD+R media. Now, despite the fact that the 107 is a very competent drive, it would not be a good idea to buy one if that was the main media you used.

Likewise, the NEC 2500A doesn't work well with Ritek G04 media. So, if you want to use Ritek G04 media, as it stands at the moment it isn't a good idea to buy an NEC 2500A.

Just as a "good" disc can be thought of as a disc that works on a wide range of hardware, so a "good" drive is one that works with a wide range of media.

But if you find that your Optorite burner works well with AN31 media (I'm not saying that is the case, it's just an example), then you've found a good match. Far be it from anyone else to tell you your combination is wrong.

What I *am* saying (and I'm speaking as someone who agrees with you that blindly slagging off "cheap" media is counterproductive) is that if you *are* going to suggest getting brand X media, you should also be specifying the drive to go with it. So, instead of saying "MBI sucks" you should really say "MBI sucks on my Benq drive". If enough other people say "MBI sucks on brand X,Y,Z" then yes, then you can say MBI sucks. If, however, everyone is complaining about MBI on Benq, and the one or two people lost in the crowd who are saying that the discs work OK on an MSI, then we can clarify things to be more useful, namely that MBI suck on a Benq writer but might be OK on an MSI and other burners.

If you end up with a picky burner, you are restricted as to what discs you can write. If you have incompatible discs, then you have the reverse problem. Ideally, surely, you want to widen your options as much as possible? There might just be one type of DVD player out there which doesn't like your favourite discs burned on your favourite burner.

Last edited by jase; Mar 02, 2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 11:44 PM
Banned

I stand corrected I miss understood your post. Please forgive me for me for that. I totally see your point in your second post!

Last edited by NotAHacker; Mar 02, 2004 at 11:47 PM.