CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 02, 2004, 03:17 PM

Default The Encrypting File System (EFS) technology in windows xp

sponsored links

hi

is The Encrypting File System (EFS) technology in windows xp can protect my file from intrnet hacker ?

i mean can the hacker from intrnet read the Encrypted files if he stole it from my computer for example by trojan ??
Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:09 PM

If you use it, make sure you export a key and keep it in a safe place.!!!

If you were to backup the files, and re-install windows, you will not be able to access the files ever again.

If anyone knows different, please let me know!!
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

EFS is more for protection against users who have physical access to the computer, rather than over the Internet.

That doesn't mean you can't use it, but if you have a good firewall, updated Anti Virus, and spyware utilities, no hacker would be able to do a thing, no matter how good they were.

You can read more about EFS [url=********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316][b]HERE[/b] and [url=***********.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5387&Key=Internals][b]HERE[/b].

Last edited by Insomniac; Sep 22, 2004 at 06:50 PM.