CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

Question wireless networking problem

sponsored links

I have a NETGEAR wireless router that has about 4 desktops hooked up to it (wired & wireless) and 2 laptops hooked up to it (wireless). Everything seem to be working great. Internet is fine, sharing the printer works good and all the computers saw each other on the network for a period of time when I would open "My Network Places." I even mapped a few drives from the main PC to the laptops so they show up in 'My Computers'. However, now the laptops won't see the desktops on the network and the desktops won't see the laptops when I open 'My Network Places'. What's even more odd though is that the mapped drives on the laptops that I created earler still work great, but I just can't seem to add anymore networking places. Any idea why they aren't seeing each other?
Old May 23, 2005, 07:00 PM
Veteran

Double check to make sure that all the computers are on the same workgroup? Are you running firewall software on any of them, like zone alarm. I know that has cause problemsi n the past for me when networking computers at home.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:19 PM

Default networking prblem

No firewall software is on any of the PCs. I use the firewall built into the router. I can still access a mapped network drive even though it won't show up in "My Network Places". Sometimes the PCs see each other & sometimes they don't. Not sure what is going on....